Saturday, February 9, 2013

"How the Music Died" (poem)

Boudika was an Iceni queen
in a time that's long since gone.
Her hair in bright red tresses
her eyes sang the song of Spring.
Then the Romans killed her husband
they took her daughters to the dark
They raped this noble woman
and the warrior was born.

Centuries passed like seasons
and then I came to write her play.
I saw the beauty in her living
and even how she died.
She went to fight the Romans
She burned London to the ground
Many Romans were left bleeding
and the others were all dead.

In time the Romans brought more legions
they hunted her for ignoble sport
She died in a blood-drenched battlefield
And so the warrior left this world.
The story of her torment
and how she bravely fought
gives spirit to the warriors
who today can never fight.

In Fort Worth I was writing
as her story must be told
Today they fight on Facebook
and there's nothing else at all.
They live their days like sand fleas
leaving little spots when they bite
but it doesn't sum to much at all
when they hide in online sand.

The story came in many songs
as I wrote of her warrior's day
I would bring it all to a concert
with all the dancers in my life.
That's when came the spider
as quietly as spiders will
That's when came the web she spun
that beguiled in the light it threw.

Donika was a noble dancer
but she had fallen on her hard times
Yet she would dance this noble story
The cost didn't matter at all.
It was her keep down in Fort Worth
Where I sat to write my play
and that's where came the spider
to take it all away.

The Web grew bright in the Texas sun
Spun with light or so it seemed
But Donika said she's biting me
and she's doing it every day.
I couldn't hear her torment
I worked so hard on what I wrote
but the pain she was always feeling
came from the spider in her sport

Just as with the Roman hordes
who killed for pleasure and for gold
the spider wove her web each day
and went out hunting in the night
In time I saw what she was doing
and there was nothing I could say.
The dancer lay there bleeding
and there would never be a play.

I took the spider from her quarry
as there was nothing else to do
She wouldn't stop her feasting
until the dancer fell to Earth.
And then so died the music
So ended Boudika's play
There would never be the moment
When Boudika fought again

The spider felt no mercy
Spiders don't know how to cry
Their only joy is feasting
and they will do it until they die.
She lost her son that journey
and shed not a spidery tear
but when she got to Facebook
she cried of her humble fears.

Have pity on this spider
I have lost the one I loved
but he died to escape her torment
Just as Boudika left us all
There's nothing left of the story
just a stupid online joke
but that's what comes in this new age
when the play is finally wrote.

No comments: