Saturday, February 9, 2013

"Boudicca, My Name is War" (poem)

The song Boudika sings to her children after the Romans have attacked:


They broke the wooden doorway,
smashed through with heavy boots.
They looked for any plunder
and brought us to the room.

Gathering up the spoils,
the heathens had their way
They took my sister to the corner
There was nothing she could say.

Another looked back proudly
and his eyes laid down on me.
He dragged me to my sister
to better hear her scream.

What they did I cannot tell you
My disgrace is endless shame
I can tell you of my story
but I cannot say my name.

Boudicca, my mother,
bore it all without a sound.
My father lay before her
where they struck him to the ground.

In time the Romans left us,
Father's blood shines from the fire.
My Mother took us to her
Soft words held harsh desire.

She stood up to the morning
and took us in each arm.
I promise you, my children,
you'll see no further harm.

We'll find where they're hiding
and we'll drive them to the sea.
They better die from drowning
than to take their Fate from me.

Boudicca, my Name is War,
and Heaven help the man.
If he fights for Roman legions
we'll kill him where he stands.

No comments: