Sunday, February 24, 2013

For Daytona 500 Raceday Eating: Indian Madras Chicken

The Indian Madras Chicken is the same as the Super Good Indian Curry Chicken from last week with one substantial difference right off the top:  I didn't cut myself preparing it.  This may be a first.

The differences in preparation are that I used Sharwood's Madras Sauce which says it is hot but I call it spicy more than hot.  Sharwood's Hot Curry Paste is definitely hotter but even that isn't blinding.  The Sauce is even easier to use than the Paste as you just open the jar and pour it in there.

Last time I only used a couple of cloves of garlic but I decided that was wimpy so I put all the rest of the garlic in there this time.  Much better.

I was tempted to put a can of chopped tomato bits in there but I didn't do it and I'm glad.  The Madras sauce taste is quite good and that would have changed it.  I may experiment with that another time.

Potatoes would have sucked up some of the heat so I didn't use any this time because I wanted to know how hot the sauce really is.  The answer is that it's not that hot but it does have a little zing.  It definitely is not dead.

The main deal with all of these is don't make it like stir fry.  If you don't simmer it then the ingredients, particularly the chicken, won't have time to absorb all the Madras sauce goodness.  I take my time getting started by giving the onions and garlic some time to soften.  Then I add the sauce so it can wake up for a while from the heat.  While the sauce is coming to life I brown the chicken or, more accurately, whiten it and then add it to the mix.  After that I'll put it a bunch of frozen vegetables.  Yes, I know that's lame but it's cheap, still tastes good and there is zero waste.  I'll bring all that up to high heat for few minutes and then set it to simmer while I make the rice which always takes eighteen minutes.  After the rice is ready, it's time to eat.

Once again, on rice makers, they suck!  I never got anywhere near the good results from a rice maker that I get from doing it myself.  Unlike a rice maker, nothing ever sticks to the bottom of the pot so nothing is ever wasted.  Also, in doing it myself, I know exactly when it will be ready.  A rice maker is a total waste of money and it keeps wasting money by how much rice sticks to the bottom each time you use it.

This is a very low waste kitchen.  The only stuff that gets thrown out will be the top and bottom of an onion and the same with the garlic.  Anything trimmed from the chicken goes to the cats and they don't leave a thing behind.  That's it.  Everything else gets cooked and everything cooked gets eaten.  Ya, that's how you do it!

Overall verdict:  pretty damn good and satisfies the three requirements:  It's easy, it's cheap, and it makes a lot.  The Super Good Indian Curry Chicken gave up five meals and it looks like this one will do the same.  All for not much more than €12,00.


There is one problem, tho:  after eating all that, I want to take a nap!  I will never make it through the Daytona 500.  Best luck to Danica Patrick.  Some jerk on Twitter said the fix is in for her to win because NASCAR would make so much money from it.  All I have for that clown is let's see Danica Patrick stick to racing at 200 mph and how about you stick to trying to grow a penis.  Tip:  Twitter won't help that growth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a recap of the 500 Danica could have won the 500 if she had moved to block Little E on his turn 4 move. But finished an ok 8th
The reason she finished 8th is not an indicator of her driving ability (she is damm good on pushing the limits of traction) But she (as all women will do accept security instead of risking it all for the big prize) lacks the killer instinct of wreckers or checkers

I so thought she had it I was screaming at her on what and when to go But alas she could not hear me

Unknown said...

Yah, I can see / hear you screaming at her about what she needed to get it done! I don't believe I buy that all women lack the killer instinct as we have one sister who would cheerfully rip the throat out of anyone who challenged her on the track. At least that's what I heard of it as I was in the Army during her big racing days.

It looks like this is the year for Danica to take at least one race somewhere as she sure seems to have the car for it and she showed some excellent moves. This is the first time in years that I have really missed a television as I would have dearly loved to have watched this one!

Unknown said...

The one who lacked a killer instinct was me as I never liked it when other karts were on the track as they would slow me down (laughs).