Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Moderating Comments on the Blog

Moderation remains necessary because of the outrageous number of spam comments that come, almost every day.  Today there were nine comments, all of which were spam, and many of them were on the subject of hemorrhoids.  It's annoying to have to take the time to eliminate them but there is some amusement in knowing there's some idiot out there who spends his life focused on that subject and his solution to hemorrhoids is to become one.  I don't mean to minimise what the affliction must be like as I gather it's extremely unpleasant and painful but I very much doubt anyone who has the affliction would be coming to a music blog to find a cure for it.

The spam has increased, not surprisingly, as the hits on the blog have gone up and the increases have been extraordinary.  It's now often logging well over two hundred hits a day but the very first question that comes from that knowledge is why!  I'm doing something right but what would that be.  Some of it, a little of it, all of it?

I have no doubt that you like hearing me promoting something besides myself and I enjoy that too.  It's frustrating that I am much more often reporting on the performances of other musicians than I am reporting about my own gigs but it's good.  Paying your dues doesn't mean, in my view, that you always pay them for yourself as that will limit very much what you see of the world.

The greatest mystery to me is that, by far, the articles that have enjoyed the greatest number of hits are the ones I have written in German.  The number of hits they got and continue to get is astronomically higher than anything else I've written.  It seems obvious from that is that I should write everything in German but the number of hits isn't the biggest factor in why I write an article.

So, I'm sorry about the moderation as people should always be free to speak but the spam punks are worse than they ever were and they force the need for it.

2 comments:

R. said...

Oooooh! Moderate this one!

-ls/cm

Unknown said...

Moderating comments makes me, makes me, makes me soooooo hot!