Monday, February 18, 2013

"Rain for Olympia" Video Production

The video has been mixing down for almost an hour.  It said the process would take an hour but it's now about a third of the way complete and it still says it will take an hour.  I understand that time is relative but relative to what!

The video is of the abortive ride to Olympia yesterday.  I decided to go ahead with the video I captured as there was thirty minutes of it and it was a hassle to create it so ... add some music and let it fly.  There are four songs on it, two live originals and two covers.  There is almost none of my scintillating commentary while I ride as the visual speaks for itself.

When I gave it up and turned back, I rode a little bit in Pyrgos to get to another highway to drive back and that part may elicit some cards and letters but there was nothing unusual in the way I was riding.  There are quite strict rules for driving cars and for riding scooters in Pyrgos and you will follow them or you will be lunchmeat!  It's very safe so long as you stick to the rules even though it looks like total chaos and violates every rule of riding.  It's when you do things other drivers don't expect that you will get hurt.  I will get some more footage in Pyrgos when there is more traffic as it is one wild ride!

I just checked the mixdown again and it suddenly changed from an hour remaining to six minutes remaining.  We shall see!  Hopefully the mixdown file will be small enough for me to upload using limited bandwidth.  If not then I will use another process to get it yet smaller.  It's brutal to compress and already-compressed file but sometimes it is necessary.

I'm using iMovie for this as what Apple did to Final Cut Pro is no fun at all and I seriously hate using it now whereas I had enjoyed the previous version thoroughly.  Maybe that's evolution in action ... and maybe Apple screwed the pooch.  I will tangle with Final Cut Pro again one of these days but, for the moment, I'm not doing anything sophisticated enough to require it.

No comments: