Friday, January 30, 2015

Successful Show at the Circus

All the preparation to get the sound dialed just right worked out very well as I've verified the audio waveform for the entire hour of the show and there is no clipping anywhere.  That didn't come about from heavy compression as the audio wasn't compressed much and might even benefit from using compression a little more.

There was a lot of reverb on the vocal and that's a side-effect of using the mixer for any effects (e.g. reverb, chorus, delay, etc) because the same effects patch applies to every channel on the mixer, the only variation is how much it is used.  For example, using reverb on drums is almost always good as that will turn a skink into T. rex.  However the reverse is true for vocal.  Lots of reverb on vocal will turn Pavarotti into an Elvis impersonator ... and not a very good one.

While I wasn't satisfied with what reverb did to the vocal, the level was even higher than I really needed it.  This was due to working finally and precisely how this insane mixer 'controls' the audio level sent to the computer and, more importantly, what it sends back.  Preventing anything from being sent back to the mixer from the computer prevents feedback and then I can set levels as I like.

Many times you'll have performers doing songs and sounding good but then you can't hear a word from them in-between.  The voice gets all muffled like they try to explain to Mother how it came that they just got busted by Mr Greene for stealing lollipops from the candy store.  Why that happens with others I still don't know but it's settled here and, besides, I don't even like lollipops.

As to audience, it was a surprise.  Cat wanted to be able to promote it as she feels useless for helping if I play off the schedule.  So she did that and got some people coming.  That's her job and my job is giving them a reason to stay.  That worked well as they didn't leave and that is the number one mark of your gig:  if they're not stayin' then you're doin' some sucky playin'.

(Ed:  isn't that obvious?)

It would likely surprise you how many do not pay attention to that.  Maybe they rationalize it in some way like 'they left because all their grandmothers got run over by freight trains ... at the same time.'  If you're going to play for an audience, you've got to fookin' listen to the people in it and their feet padding out of there is one of the things they say.

This show was definitely for Cat and I could feel her smiling as there were no significant gaps between tunes and it flowed well.  If you just go up there and jack around, she will be smoking as she, rightfully, regards that as insulting to the audience she helped bring.  Thus it insults them and it also insults her.


There's nothing uploaded as I thought had a licensed copy of Fission but I've been running the trial all this time.  That should show you it's a pretty fookin' good trial.  The license is $29 but that will have to wait just now.  Meanwhile I can split some audio with QuickTime.  It's an icky way to do it but it serves nevertheless.

Thank you, Cat, as I've been thinking Silas needed to be buried fifty feet deep or so.  Seeing some people actually liking what I do is a good feeling.


Note:  there is no intention of going back to playing regularly-scheduled gigs.  I don't quite have the endurance my (cough) virile physique implies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are preforming again...even tho I cant see ya!! ML

Unknown said...

Sorry I didn't film it. I did think about trying that but thought it would be too much to handle while still keeping focus on making sure the sound would be just right.

I don't want to do shows regularly as there was a time when I could do a three-hour show, sit down for half an hour, and get up to do another one ... but this is not that time. I'm fine with that, I just have to stay cool with it.

The much-promised letter did finally get mailed and it wasn't that I only just did it today so maybe Monday.