Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sony HDR AS-30V / AS-20 Comparison

The AS-30V goes for $250 US at Wal-Mart while the AS-20 goes for $170 and the AR-15 goes for about $145.

There is no improvement in light gathering, resolution, etc in going from the AS-20 to the AS-30.  What you get is a WiFi linkage to a phone which gives zero value to me.  Both cameras have the same low light capability and shoot 11.9 megapixel stills.  Therefore the AS-20 remains the best value.

The AS-20 has a monophonic microphone whereas the AS-30V has stereo.  Maybe that's worth eighty dollars to you.

Relative to the GoPro, I've seen multiple reports of better battery life with Sony.  I'm already better impressed by the Sony image quality so the Sony HDR AS-20 has a clear lead now.


I'm getting more intrigued with the possibilities in getting Yevette to use it.  At first I thought it would be good to set her up for her river walk but then I think she would have questions as to what am I supposed to be doing.  I haven't been down to the river but maybe the better option is if I do it one time so she can see it.  You really don't do anything except walk around and look at stuff.  For that matter, there's a botanical garden (hmm ... what other kind of garden is there) not far from here and that might have similar possibilities.

That may sound kind of New Age in let's go look at flowers and ducks but I want considerably more out of it than that and definitely not simply a Fort Worth travelogue.

So, my purpose is not only to shoot lasers.  That's definitely the first purpose but it's not the only one.

No comments: