Sunday, January 25, 2015

Causing Seizures with Laser Videos - Updated

Tinkerbell advised me she loved the music but could not watch the video for the latest because the flashing lights would cause seizures.  This has been a consideration for me in making these videos but I've thought they were ok because I don't use anything that strobes.  I know for sure that strobe lights can trigger epileptic seizures.  However, that's not the only kind of seizure so there's more reason for concern.

The 'flashing lights' in this one came from a single LED I was using for a fill light and it changed colors more or less in time with the music.  In my own judgment, this video was a lightweight for visual effects so it was a surprise to me that even that level of visual effect can cause problems.

What I suggest as a solution is that in any future video that has any type of flashing in it will start with a warning:  BEWARE OF HIGH-INTENSITY LIGHTING THAT SOME MAY FIND DISTURBING.

I do not think it is warranted to add some kind of prompt such as do you really, really, really want to do this.  In my view, that kind of thing is insulting.

If you think anything additional is warranted, please comment.  I'm not looking for some sleazoid legal language to avoid prosecution but rather a fair warning that some may have troubles.  Besides, if I put some legalese crap up there then no-one will read it and the viewer is still screwed.


Update:

I've added a warning message to the description for six out of the eight videos on my channel, Peas InOurThyme on YouTube.

No comments: