Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Christmas Still Flies About Fort Worth It Seems

With housesitting comes the odious task of Clean Up the Computer.  That's not an order from Yevette but a deep-seated compulsion.  Computers must work correctly or they must be badgered until they do.  I have a compulsive need to badger computers.  It ruined my life and (sob) is incurable.

Yevette's computer could be cleaned insofar as it takes time but even a Desktop that looks like it was painted by Jackson Pollock can be brought to order ... but ... an old machine will not run the latest versions of Apple's OS X.  That machine is at OS X Lion and it will die with it.  What that also means is the machine is now going into its seventh year and it's still running well.  Apple.  That's why you pay more for them.

There was a request from Yevette to load her copy of Adobe Photoshop.  It's no big deal, just a hassle screwing around with CDs, etc, so it dragged out for a while but, after the clean-up, I installed it and, despite the age, it ran just fine.  Photoshop CS3 is about the same vintage so it would have surprised me if it didn't work but it was good to verify it was stable.  It's a legal copy with valid serial, etc.


Photoshop once ran on my machine but I got up one day to go to the room with the computers and the instruments ... and saw Noah coming out as I approached.  As you can surmise, that was not a good sign.  The laptop was directly under one of the leaks and, when I held it on its side, water poured out of it.  As to why Noah did that, he pointed to another guy who pointed back to him and they blamed each other.  Then they said it sucks to be you.  So ended Photoshop on my machine.

I thought, hmmm, I wonder if that old copy would run on my machine.  It's three or four OS X releases ahead of Yevette's machine and, yes, it does run.

The puzzle is that the serial number used to activate it on Yevette's machine was the one that came with the CD.  When I loaded it onto mine, the serial number was pre-filled with a valid number and it was not the one from Yevette's purchase.  I conclude it must have found my original serial number and used that which is fine as that really is still legal.  It's the same version of the software I was running.  (Yevette didn't make a recent purchase.  This install has been outstanding for so long that it was forgotten.)

Poof.  Photoshop lives again.


This is a motel of total despair just down the road on Jacksboro Highway.  It is one seriously creepy place.

In case you went to school in Texas:  there is no such thing as a forty-foot iguana and there are no red squirrels in Fort Worth unless you count the politicians.


No comments: