Friday, January 9, 2015

Waiting for a Hero is No Excuse for Lack of Video

The GoPro Hero camera would be cooler than a cucumber sandwich on a hot summer day but that's not a reason to stop until I can get one.  I'd say the odds are about 35:65 and falling for pulling it off in January and I have looked on eBay / Craigslist.  That's frustrating but it's not a tragedy.

Conversely, I notice a friend who has been trying to hit the retirement jackpot and reach that magic number for a secure retirement.  He hit it some while back but now he plays with it to get more instead of bagging the job and getting out to spend some.  In my view, that's a much, much worse problem to have.  To have the money and not do anything with it ... now that really is a tragedy.

(Cadillac Man and Lotho:  I don't mean you.  I know you are working specific plans.)

Plus, you won't likely see a better deal on a Euro tour any time soon.  The Euro trades for $1.18 against the dollar and it was at about $1.38 when I was over there.  When you can get a hundred Euros for twenty dollars less than a few months ago, that says SALE to me.  I imagine if that lasts until Spring then you'll see a whole lot of touristas heading for the Continent.  (If you can't go to Greece, go to Spain)

If you can kick toward a GoPro, that would be exceptionally generous and the Donate button is there for it.  The thing will cost about $180-$200 US and it's not air-tight for the GoPro as I need to further review light sensitivity, etc.  At present it looks like the best value for wearable HD and, also at present, I'm not bringing much toward it except lust.  I can see what it will do and I imagine some of you can visualize it as well.  If you think that's worth doing, please do kick something toward it.

There are other applications for it as well.  Yevette likes sometimes to take Tobey the Dog to some park around here.  If she wore a GoPro then that could give a view of a walk along the Trinity River from someone who isn't trying to sell you something.  The main thing in doing that is to think always someone else is looking at this through your eyes so what would they want to see.  Combine that with the right music and that could be some good trippin'.

There's some potential for car video to capture the extremist billboards with harsh black and white text saying YOU WILL BURN, SINNER.  I have not seen that one but it's that level of extremism.  It's the same thing with guns.  COME ON IN FOR HOLSTER HELP.  However, all I see from this stuff is to flip it to black and white and do some kind of cinema noir, extremely-hackneyed cinema noir, as a rant on that theme has been done so many times.  Overall, tho, Fort Worth is not so photogenic.  Nevertheless, there's always potential.

So, it's week-end and I even took a bath.  There is no excuse.  Shoot video.

No comments: