Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Audio Hijack Pro 3.0 by RogueAmoeba Software

Audio Hijack has been a staple on Apple computers for some years as it's a highly-reliable way to capture audio from any source on the computer and then save it in a variety of formats (e.g. MP3, AIFF, etc).  (RogueAmoeba:  Audio Hijack)

The cost of a new license is $49 and it's a $25 upgrade from any previous version (i.e. Audio Hijack or Audio Hijack Pro).  This is not a review of Audio Hijack 3.0 as I don't have the $25 just now but I can tell you I will do it when I can as Rogue Amoeba makes very high quality software.  They are also the providers of Nicecast, the audio streaming software I have used hundreds and hundreds of times for streaming sound into Second Life and other virtual grids.

Previously I had used Nicecast as an easy way to capture the audio when noodling in the studio, as opposed to recording individual tracks and doing some big deal production.  However, there's a problem with recording in that way as Nicecast echoes the audio back out to the mixer.  There's no way to turn off the echoing and the mixer is too cheap and stupid to give much DAW control beyond a single knob.

However, Audio Hijack Pro provides the perfect solution as I can capture raw audio but suppress any output monitoring thus getting a perfectly clean recording that I can spindle and mutilate at will when I get it into Final Cut with any associated video.


Recording anything has not been a priority or even an interest after the latest debacle but the tooth aspect has added a further complication.  It's not so much pain from the tooth but a broken edge is sharp and that is bugging all hell out of my tongue.  It will wear down in a few days as this isn't the first time I've been through this but it's unpleasant just now and I doubt recording will go well with that constantly bugging me.

Most of my videos are destroyed and there is no chance of recovering them.  There are six online now but it's very unlikely any others will be found as I've even reviewed backups on one of Yevette's external disks.  There were many other videos but they aren't coming back.  However, I would like to make "The Cat in the Space Between Things" as it's been a huge thing for quite a while and I would like to deliver it.

No comments: