Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Case of the Freezing Guy

It would have been better to correct the absence of Pepsi Cola at three in the afternoon but life decided three in the morning would be better, presumably because it's much colder at that time.

Outside the QuickTrip market, there was a guy sitting down and leaning against a wall with a thin white blanket around him.

I wasn't sure what to make of the situation as I went inside.  My business was short as I only needed to grab some soda and I would be out of there.  Even though I know what's in there, I still survey the food on offer.  The conclusion is always the same that it costs too much and looks like it's awful but apparently there is some reason to verify that each time so the ritual must be completed.

While I was doing that a pretty young blonde girl asked me if I would like to trade my job for cleaning the hotdog machine.  I told her not to worry, young lady.  I've done my share of dirty jobs.  Then she told me, if you ever have to clean one of these machines then you will never eat a hotdog cooked in a store ever again.  I told her I've seen worse, I've shoveled up for elephants in a zoo and, what's more, it was the best job I ever had.  I told her why and she said yah, I see that.

When I went to the counter to checkout, I told her about the guy outside and asked if there is anything anyone can do to help.  She said there wasn't but he comes inside every so often to warm up.  That was some comfort as it was clear she wasn't going to call a cop but still this guy is screwed.

I thanked her and went stumbling back out to the car but she quickly came after me and said, "I'm married already and I'm forty years too young for you but I'm not so hard on the eyes.  Take me with you!  Save me!  I want to have your baby!"

Of course I had to break her heart but she accepted it well and I continued out of the store still thinking what, what, what.

The best answer I had was to give him a five spot and a few cigarettes.  Telling you doesn't endanger my good conduct medal as I feel like a complete shitbag that he is still out there.

Anyone got a better answer?


P.S.  the answer is not political.  Out here in the real world we can't eat politics.

No comments: