Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Giving Your Wife a Garbage Can for Christmas

Hang on as this isn't going to suck and every word of it is true.

A friend at work was ever so proud of saying he had once been so poor that he gave his wife a garbage can for Christmas.  They were even so poor that she appreciated it as they needed it.  When I met him he was a systems programmer for Amdahl and he could read IBM system dumps like someone else may read a comic book.  He was definitely po' no mo'.

(Ed:  that's kind of feel good but I can't say it's changing my Christmas)

OK, how about this:  he has cerebral palsy.

(Ed:  that's bad-ass)

There's more as his wife has cerebral palsy also and don't you think of helping them as that will piss them off.  Don't you insult me by doing something I could do myself.

(Ed:  definitely bad-ass)

And there's more.  When I knew him was maybe thirty years later.  He and his wife were still absolutely crazy about each other.

Oh, and this.  They had two beautiful daughters together, neither of whom was afflicted by the disease.

Merry Christmas.  Sometimes even a garbage can says it more than anything else can and it's the right thing to say.  Magic happens.


(Emphasis:  I have not exaggerated a word.  Mystery Lady knows them as well.  Lovely people.)

No comments: