Sunday, December 21, 2014

"Scrooged" Nails Me to the Floor

It's been years since I last watched "Scrooged" and I had forgotten.  It starts with so much Hollywood at the North Pole that I was going to give it up right off the top but that part works for the story and I got sucked into it.  Through the early game, Bill Murray has such a good time playing a complete bastard but the movie still wasn't pushing up to Number One territory.  It's the ending that gives Murray a guitar solo and that's a box of Kleenex by itself.  If you're still standing after that, the reunion with Karen Allen will set you up and then Tiny Tim will finish you, "God bless us everyone."

If you don't reach for Kleenex in chick flicks then it's a shame as letting them flow is part of it.  There's nothing to explain as if you do then you already know and if you don't then you probably won't.  I don't know why getting all emotional and moved like that should bring goodness but, wtf, it works.

Various toxifying influences have been removed as I was appalled deeply by the reaction to a recent Senate report, various judicial decisions, etc and that strengthened my resolve not to bring that here (from my 'home' perspective, anywhere else is largely irrelevant).  The last part of "Scrooged" says it all and restating it would be an assault on the movie.  I may just watch that part again.

Even though I'm broke, life sucks, blah, blah, this is an exceptional Christmas for me as I really do feel like I'm giving something.  In some cases, I really did.  I was at the Post Office earlier and Dad was there with his two little girls, maybe 4-5 and 7-8.  Dad was having a devil of a time writing out the label to a package and the girls were trying their best to be patient.  I was standing behind and it really wasn't necessary as I could have gone around him but it would have been kind of a jump of the line plus it was cute to watch the girls being patient.  The little one saw me smiling and she must have put a whole box of charming into one ray of light.  That was worth the drive by itself.  Absolutely adorable.

No comments: