Friday, December 26, 2014

A Trainload of Aloha from Hawaii - Updated

Saying the Aloha came from Hawaii really doesn't tell you much as where else would one get a trainload of it.

Today was a momentous event as I got two Christmas cards ... which is two more than I've received in at least five years.  That's not a lament as Christmas cards are a little difficult when no-one knows where you are.

Laughing Gecko sent a whole lot of Aloha and he also said the guitar picks did arrive so that was cool all the way around.  Right now there is snow in the mountains in Hawaii.  I don't know if Laughing Gecko is near there but it must be a bit unusual.

I've decided I'm not satisfied with the video from the show the other night.  I didn't think I would be and that's why I put it off but I'm playing tomorrow so that's another shot to try it again.  Plus it gives me another shot to do a good plug for Laughing Gecko.

There's more to come on the Laughing Gecko story.  There are two immediate benefits to trying again as it's important to cut the gain on the clean guitar sound because that's the patch that clips.  I've also cut the level of the signal going to the computer as that was over-driven as well but not terribly.  This stuff is very difficult to detect in real-time as the level meters and idiot lights all lie.  This is where headroom comes into it, at least in my conception of it.  If you keep headroom high (i.e. no possible chance of clipping) then you can screw with it in post-production by increasing gain.  There's no way of removing gain later as once a waveform is clipped, it is screwed forever.

Note:  increasing gain is not entirely acoustically transparent but it's vastly different from the problems of a track in which there is clipping.

The other reason is that my posture was horrendously poor in the video.  I'm wrapped around that guitar like a beached jellyfish melting in the sun.  In large part, that's due to the ergonomics with the laptop and I had not realized how much of a consequence there is to that situation.  Now it's crucial to get an extender cable for the the line to the router as that will permit moving the computer such that I can get my feet under this desk.


There was another card from Yevette and her mother and I'd like to thank both as the giving of this Christmas has been exceptionally beautiful and it's one of the best ever for that.  It wasn't just one day as Yevette has been on her mission for months and she damn sure isn't spending her time surfing.  However, she did see some dolphins up really close when they came into the harbor.

There's a lot you don't hear about what Yevette does and she wouldn't like it if you did but I tell you she's a big-hearted woman and she's always thinking about giving before taking.  That's why she makes her witchy potions and I've talked to her about putting them on eBay but what she wants is to make these things for friends and share some health with them.  For Yevette, it's Christmas all year 'round.

Apparently the package didn't make the date as it was supposed to get there today but she didn't have it.  The rescue is still in-motion, we're just not quite sure where that motion might be just now.


Update:  the package has arrived and Yevette has been back online but she hates it as anyone who uses a computer quite a bit is not going to regard a tablet as a dream date.  Nevertheless, she saw the news about The Raven and sends congratulations to everyone.  She was particularly impressed by the 'ceremony' as that was major style.

No comments: