Saturday, December 13, 2014

Nothing Like Christmas to Kill a Blog

This is not even close to a lament but rather an observation.  I decided early this would be a non-combat Christmas and the number of readers quickly plummeted.  At its height during the Euro wandering there would be around two thousand reads per day.  On a hot day since it would be maybe five or six hundred.  The stuff I'm posting now has dropped it down to two or three hundred.

As I said, this is not a lament as in my view it kept the best two or three hundred.  I like what this vibe does to me and I like what it does for you.  It doesn't matter what you do on a social network as it will be forgotten the next day.  Here it won't and that's why I keep doing it.  People are still reading the shark attack articles and they must be two years old by now.

I'm not in a position to give too much but I can do this and happily.  Here's one from some woman who wanted to make a bunch of kids smile and she didn't even know them:  Woman Visits Toys ‘R’ Us, Pays Off Everybody’s Layaway Accounts.  This isn't the first time such a thing has happened and what's common to them is the people who do it usually want to remain anonymous.  There's a whole lot of Christmas in that aspect of it as I'm still pretty sure no-one, even Megyn Kelly, knows what Santa Claus really looks like.

There was an article a few days ago about 'Santa deniers' and aren't they terrible.  I'm not going to post a link as some stuff isn't even worth its weight in the electrons needed to display it.  I'm not really sure what a Santa denier would be.  Is this someone who believes in God but doesn't believe in Santa.  If it's someone who also does not believe in God then why not just call such a person an atheist, assuming you have some burning need to call them anything at all.

I don't believe any Santa denier actually exists but if I met one then I'd send that wise old owl off to look for the woman at Toys 'R' Us although she doesn't want to be found so it might take a while.  I'd send that Santa denier off to find the one who was buying lunch for an old WWII Navy sailor every so often but that one doesn't want to be recognized either.

It's not my intention to write a load of feel-good crap as I can't say I do feel all that good but emotionally and spiritually I believe what I've been writing is the best thing I can do for any of us.  Maybe that sounds lofty but it doesn't feel this way as in some ways this is a very good Christmas, largely because I have no expectations.  I do have hopes and one of them is this atones in some tiny way for the worst Christmas ever.

Knecht Reprecht is the guy who comes around with Saint Nicholas and he deals with the kids who were bad.  Cat said as a kid she was terrified of him.  Who can say how much he motivated good behavior but I've seen a lot of him over the last fifteen years so maybe what you see now is what comes of that.

No comments: