Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Shirley Temple Hates My Drum Machine

There is no evidence Shirley Temple ever hated anything ... but ... if she heard my drum machine, she would hate it.  Cat seriously hates it as she has heard it a lot.  I hate it too and not because Cat hates it as I hated it already.

But ...

There are drum kits in most synthesizers and the layout of the drums on the keyboard is largely the same for all of them.  I don't have them memorized but maybe C3 is a kick drum and each other key has another component of a drum kit or some type of percussion sound.

So I got a loop going and I wanted zero chords, there would only be snippets from each voice and it was my intention to use a lot of them ... which I did.  That made kind of a cool groove but then I started screwing with a drum kit.  I've been doing this for years and I never liked using a keyboard for a drum kit ... but ... lighten up and give it another go.

That turned a groove into a gas and that's got to be good, right.  There was the boring basic drum sequence from the machine but the drum kit on the synth allowed me to add 'off' beats to make it a whole lot more groovulous.

Off to the guitar and then musical heaven.  It's not recorded as I was just screwing around before there was to be a show.  The thought came to my head and so I had to try it but there wasn't time to develop it.  Making a jam band trip isn't hard as you lay out four bars on the looper and twiddle lead lines until people beg for mercy.  What I want here is similar but I want the bars to be more than chords that really only set the color of the walls.  That makes it more complicated but that's cool as we discover in a subsequent article that complicated music is more likely than simple music to make women want to make babies with you.  If there is any other purpose to music, I'm not aware of it.

I don't know if Santa Claus or the Necromancer brought this one to me but thanks.

No comments: