Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hanukkah and the Thirty Days of Christmas

Hanukkah I don't know at all except Jewish people do it.  They light candles and eat strange food but that's about the depth of my knowledge and I mean no disrespect as one thing I do know is their God is the same.  Maybe it's not such a bad idea if everyone lights a candle today even if you don't know what it means.  I don't but I know I'll do it as I don't know what else it will do but I can be sure it will bring light.

Some may find it offensive to roll these together and I'm not going to defend doing it as we're all in it together anyway.  I see no harm in it and I definitely mean no offense.

(Ed:  what about Islam?)

Same God.  Same Jesus.


One of the Five Pillars of Islam is shahadah and this is acceptance of God and Muhammed as his Prophet.  In my own view, Jesus was also a Prophet and one I admire tremendously.  Muslims recognize Jesus as a Prophet as well.  I don't know if Jesus is God but I do know all of the religions agree one one thing:  there's only one God.

It's not my purpose to incite theological debate but rather to observe there are vastly more similarities than differences between religions so it's my purpose to show respect for all of them in the thirty days of Christmas.

There are no requirements for the Thirty Days of Christmas as you don't have to eat weird food although it would be cool if you tried Vegemite.  The Mystery Lady is American and she could hack it.

There's no fasting required ... unless you're broke and you're stuck with it.

Nobody has to buy anything because not only is it expensive, it's also a pain in the ass.  It's bad enough you have to deal with stores during the rest of the year so keep it that way and screw buying stuff in December.

So, whatever you do this season, enjoy it.  There's no chance it will conflict with anything you're going to see here.

No comments: