Monday, December 29, 2014

Kind of a Political Day

That doesn't mean I talked about politics but rather that I didn't do anything.  I do have an excuse but it's pitiful and the only thing worse than an excuse is a pitiful one.  That also is political so way too much politics today.

There were some minor accomplishments

"Prometheus" is not just coincidentally related to the Aliens quad as that linkage was deliberate but not official.  However, the movie has Charlize Theron in it so how official do you need it to be.  It serves as a loose precursor to explain the intro to the first "Alien" movie.

Side-note:  I would like to see Charlize Theron and Chelsea Handler do some kind of rap antic as I think that could be blisteringly funny.  They're incredibly smart women so what would they do.


Half-Price Books was located about 15-20 minutes from here but then I saw they have an online order process.  From there I discovered three unread Larry Niven novels and all were 99 cents.  It may be worth paying for shipping as none of them are in the Fort Worth store.

(Ed:  what happened to stealing novels and reading them on the iPad)

All together now:   IF YOU LOVE READING THEN YOU WILL HATE DOING IT ON A TABLET


But I did come up with a Strategic Action Plan as in a SAP for the sap in Fort Worth, ja, ja, ja.

My Christmas Let's Fix Some Shit Treat was that I ordered an internet cable extender and a 25' cable as it will not only save my life but also Yevette's as she has tripped over the damn thing as much as I. It also permits moving the computer a few feet to the left and this is ergonomically gigantic.  If you use a computer at all heavily, the effect of ergonomics goes considerably beyond carpal tunnel syndrome.  If you can afford the $300 computer chair, buy it.  Your body is worth it.

Note:  maximum cable run for RJ45 is about ninety meters (i.e. about 270') and this makes it 125' here so there should be little or no performance consideration.

There will also be a dual fan gadget and this is vital to prevent PCD (Premature Computer Death) as the fans spin up hard all the time I'm using Second Life and also when I use Final Cut and Compressor.  All the time those fans are spinning, the computer is running hotter than it should and is taking one extra step closer to death.  For eighteen bucks, we got value.

The last part of the Geek Treat was a powered USB hub and that's probably like getting a pair of socks to you but I'm using six USB ports on a two-port laptop and I frequently need more.  It's boring for you but it solves a problem that bugs me incessantly.

These treats aren't quite as exciting as snorkeling in Virgin Gorda (BVI) but they're pretty damn cool for me.  Thank you, Santa!

No comments: