Sunday, August 17, 2014

Valerie Fraser, Artist - Look at Me Now Show Added to the Site

Valerie Fraser, Artist is the ongoing project and it's good that's ongoing as the reason as I'm working up ideas for the Artist as opposed to things I add in the hope they will go toward her goals.

The changes yesterday were clear as the pictures she sent me were the Artist defining herself.

It wasn't quite so clear how I would implement a request to show the paintings segregated by the exhibition in which they appeared.  I know for sure she wants this so I've made the Look At Me Now Show which features the paintings from that particular exhibition, the most recent.

The way it works is that it will put a row of icons across the screen, much as is done on the Home Page now.  However, I did not like the way those pictures were displayed so I've converted all painting display calls to go to the same place.

Something possibly unsatisfactory is that scrolling to other images in the Displayer follows simple sort order of the Images folder.  In other words, it ignores any selection for shows for scrolling.  This one is fairly complex to solve as the information driving the current page was picked up two pages back and the current one can't see it anymore.  I didn't abandon the idea of restricting the list but what happens when the show had, say, a hundred paintings it.  Sending that list between pages is crazy-level overhead so I don't see it as a good answer.  Looking up the information again is not a good answer either.  I'll leave that to the Artist.  Is it ok how it works now or should I do some more thinking.

When you click the painting to exit, the Displayer knows which page called it so it will go back to that one.  That wasn't so easy as it sounds and you will be able to get a hint of it from the odd query lists that get passed between the pages.  You can see those by looking at the URL on the command line for your browser.

Hopefully you'll like the new look as everything has stabilized enough to start expanding it again.

So, no, I wasn't only washing dishes tonight!


The alternative language support is far behind and I'll get cracking on that tomorrow.

No comments: