Saturday, August 23, 2014

"Ohio 2014" - Almost Ready for Live

Many recent things trigger the need to revisit "Ohio" and they are the same things that triggered it the first time when Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young did it.

"Ohio 2014" starts with making a basic chord loop with the guitar set for a clean sound.  Bass gets added to that and then BX3 organ (Korg's twisted B3).  Crazy how when anyone really wants to play, the trick synths go out the window and the B3 comes back.  Why not ... nothing ever did it better.

After the Dm build back to start the pattern again, distortion guitar comes in for chords and then the vocal.  The distortion guitar goes into the loop but the vocal doesn't.

Electric lead after the vocal which comes back to chords.  At the same time, kick undo on the looper so the distortion chords come out of the loop as the guitar is doing that live now and at the end of the pattern will stop to drop back to clean guitar.  Electric lead switches to clean lead and gets all reflective.

That's optional finish No. 1 and the alternative is to stop the loop but continue the distortion chords on the guitar for two slowing passes of Dm F C ending on a long, long continuous strum on on Dm to end ... volume maxed, all the lights flashing ... Stop the Shooting.  Optional finish No. 2 is my preference so far.

The result has been thunderous but not muddy thunderous, just really fuckin' loud.  I may change the bass sound as I want him to be a little bit something else but I don't know what yet.

This one isn't MusikCircus freeform as it's straight up rock and as hard as I can do it.  If there's any Old School Silas, this is it and I'm liking it a lot.

I need to record this soon as I see a lot of things when I play it and I don't want pundits or any other distracting nuisances involved in what comes.  It's the same as recording the bit for Tinkerbell as I never played that again.  I felt it would be disrespectful to what was happening to do anything to the recording.  It's the same with this one as I get one shot to play it live the first time.

No comments: