Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Admin Home is Stabilized ... and We All Want That

How can there be any peace for any of us if there is no peace in the Admin Home.  We have seen how it behaves when it's upset as, just like it's real-life counterpart, it starts throwing things around and they break other things at random.

But we don't like that kind of behavior and the Admin Home is again a member of the United Nations of Cheap-Ass Home Software and is cooperating fully.  It still longs to blow things up as what fun is power if you can't destroy things but the new and cooperative Admin Home promises to behave.


The geekier part: it seems there must have been a server change as I was using a standard HTML form to send an enormous amount of data.  I figured, what the hell, why read the database again, send it in the form.  There's nothing wrong with the logic as, from my reading, an HTML form can go up to a typical server limit of 10 MB.  I wasn't approach that so all was good ... until it wasn't.  It stopped working yesterday and things started breaking.

There was previous advisory in which I wrote on writing clever code.  I have now paid the price for ignoring that and the software is now doing it a much simpler and, as it happens, a much more effective way.

All pending images are now online but I gather these account for about half of the total.  How many the Artist may wish to put online is unknown but there may yet be another pile of material.


The difference now is that she can do it herself.  For the moment I'll keep adding them as I have been as this will give me a chance to really work out the utilities because I won't use anything but the site tools to put the images online; no offline editing, etc.

There database layout has now been changed and it includes the capability for x/y dimensions for the images.  Cat mentioned this several times so I have no doubt others want to see it.  I should have anticipated this one as the first things one wants to discover about a painting after seeing it are how big is it and what media were used for it.

I'm reviewing now the biggest size that can possibly work for an image so I can optimize the existing ones and make more clear what the optimum sizes are for future images.

No comments: