Saturday, August 30, 2014

Voodoo and a Crazy Fanboy at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Being a crazy fanboy is great as it must be pretty obvious I think practically everyone sucks except a very short list of players.

The trouble is that seeing a crazy fanboy is highly creepy for Voodoo Shilton.  I don't have to ask him as what do you say when someone says, "Das ist fucking cool, mein Bruder!"

Um, thanks?

Call it pretentious if you like but it's awkward as you're diggin' it that someone likes, appreciates your stuff but you spend all that time learning how to do it, not what to say or how to handle it if someone actually does like it.

So I know it's awkward but still I say, "Das ist fucking cool, mein Bruder!"

Many times in listening to someone play, it sounds like an exercise.  I don't feel anything as I hear the notes and I hear this or that, all the technical stuff is there, but it's lifeless like an Excel spreadsheet ... complicated as hell but heartless and dead.

But.

There are players who make it live as in breathing fire rather than a state of simply not being dead.  It's what happens on Broadway before the performances start in the theatres.  There's a vibe that comes and you're engaged.  So it is with Voodoo.

So.

How can you hear him if you can't come to Second Life.

Yes, that was a rhetorical question as there are videos on YouTube, I've told you of the recordings he sells of his performances, but I haven't heard of CD plans and such.

This is more than academic interest as Voodoo's show last night was exceptional.  There are times when you play and it's cool, everyone's diggin' it ... but ... then there are times when there is a special blessing from the Necromancer, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whomever you want to consider as those are the nights when everything is on.  You are one guitar playing monster and it is live.

That was the show last night and, yes, it is recorded.  I've been listening to Voodoo shows just about every week for well over a year and I tell you this one was stratospheric.  So here's the plug:  this would be an excellent candidate for a CD release.  It doesn't really need to be mastered as it was all recorded in one continuous take.  It's not much more than chop, chop to break the bits apart and export them as AIFFs which are then uploaded to CD Baby or other vendor.  About forty bucks for online CD sales and distribution to iTunes (plus about every place you could ever want to sell, some may not be such a good idea).

Put some Voodoo graphics on the cover and the CD packages itself.  So long as I'm making wishful requests, how about "Voodoo Shilton - Live at Cat's Art MusikCircus" and I know I would probably lose her forever if he did that but it would be so damn cool to see that CD.

Yah, I'm a fanboy ... and completely shameless about it.

No comments: