Saturday, August 9, 2014

Making an Intelligent Web Site

A Web site that does not require you to do stupid things is my easiest measure of the intelligence of Web sites.  It's very important to me that the site I develop for my niece does not make her do stupid things and preventing that has been a great part of the development over the last few days.

Previous articles have described uploading a new painting image to the site and how to make that as easy as possible.  That looks to have been accomplished although I won't know for sure until I open it and I haven't done that yet.  I'm the only one who knows the password and it will stay like that until I'm satisfied this is effective.

As predicted, I did smash the data file with a programming mistake and this left the database with nothing in it other than linefeeds.  Not so useful.  So it will be a few days yet before I open it.

My purpose today is handling the situation if she notices the information she has entered about a painting is in error in some way.  The following graphic is what comes up if she wants to modify the Art Information Record.  Next to each name is a pulldown menu for Edit Art Info, Delete, and, for now, Testing.

I've selected in the example Edit Art Info for the image named Kerplummpffl 2013.


When she has selected the option she wants, she can click update and then it will fill the original data prompter block with information from the data file and she can change whatever she likes in it.

For the purpose of my test, I changed the Status of Kerplummpffl 2013 to Sold and then clicked Write (graphics not included).  Immediately Kerplummpffl 2013 was no longer available for purchase.

In other words, she can easily change a painting to sold without needing me for anything.  The same applies to any other field in the data record.  Change whatever you like in it and the information will be replaced.

So I'm pleased with how this develops.  I'm not so pleased that I will open it yet but it looks quite good so far.

No comments: