Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The DR-880 Continues to Plague Me

Even though the DR-880 bugs the living hell out of me, it's good news to report as the only way to get it is to have been playing.

But it does plague me.  I can't get the bitch to do pad recording, that's where you tell it just to keep collecting drum hits from you until you're satisfied with the groove.  But it only records one hit.  You have got to KNOW I know how to read computer manuals and I followed meticulously ... but it still doesn't work.

You can watch video tutorials on YouTube but one of them is so bad that someone who viewed it said he saw it as a reason not to get one!  There's a guy who keeps pushing buttons but they don't work and he says each time, well, it's like that, you just have to keep doing it.  After a while it becomes a joke!

And after a while I reached the Screw This point and pulled out a stock Reggae beat that turned into Chocolate Monkeys on a Trapeze.  That's good but I don't know if Monkeys really like Reggae that much.

(Ed:  it sounds like you liked it)

Good point.

In most cases it's tragic if someone falls off a trapeze but in this case you can eat them.

I could tell you of the old guy travails in playing but, man, you seriously don't want to know.  What I know for sure is my fingers are the strongest part of me.  It's odd to me as I can get wobbly but my fingers sound decisive in the playing and that feels very good.  I do intend to try a gig on Thursday.

No comments: