Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Gad, a Help Function

Some think of documentation first.  Systems programmers think of it last.

(The above is complete crap.  Systems programmers are the measure of the manuals they know.  The stuff I write here isn't geeky.  It's like a Hallmark Love card compared to the geekishness of going deep down into IBM internals.  The unusual thing is there is a twisted beauty to what they describe.  The z/OS operating system and its IBM progenitors drove most of the mainframes from the beginning and the change to the world specifically from what was done on those machines is immeasurable.  It's still happening and there is a tingle in working with really, really big systems.  I did it for way too long but it is exciting.)


But I did think of help and there is now an option in the Admin Home section of the site.  Although it will undoubtedly be a profound disappointment to readers, there won't be any need to put out any more tips on using the system here on the blog as they will be inside the site.

Since I'm running geekish already, the Sorter utility worked splendidly.  The technique for doing it was to load each array for the each painting as elements into another array which then permits closed to a 'keyed' sort of the primary array.  I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I liked the deviance of this one.  There was a valid problem to solve as the paintings almost certainly won't be added in order of the year they were painted so the Sorter will put them into order.

The image size has also been pushed as far as it will go at 950x650.  If it will work on my dinky screen, it should work on just about anything.  For any images that could take advantage of the change, I uploaded new higher-resolution ones.  "Caustic Disco" almost fills the screen.

I'm not concerned about theft of the images as Web resolution is only 72 dpi and that's useless for printing a quality image.  The images online now would be, at most, three inches on a side when printed or they will pixelate like you're playing Atari's Pong.

One way to protect images is to position absolute at top:0 / left:0 the last div that is set for 100% width. Fill it with a graphic marked for 100% width. It's transparent except for 'STEAL ME - JUST TRY' in the center of the screen. I would take a fairly clever thief to get it as a screen shot is worthless. Trying to download it is worthless as you would only get the STEAL ME layer. Dragging it off the window will just get the STEAL ME image too as the real one is underneath it.

But ... you have a nasty watermark over an image that may have taken weeks or years to create.   So.  In my estimation it's not worth it but I can do it if you wish.  It's not a huge effort, it's just a drag to put something ugly over a beautiful thing.

The Admin Home material is getting more comfortable to me as I've been using it for anything I need to do with an image I've uploaded it.  Changes came to it from seeing what else I needed to do to the image to get it setup right.  There really would be really little reason to go to FTP unless they site just got shot all to hell by something.  (Get a new copy of the Zip file.  The Help will tell you how to do it.  Any time I change software, I'll upload a revised version of it.  You'll want it bad if the server ever crashes.)

No comments: