Friday, August 8, 2014

"Shooting Through a Star" Silas Live at Cat's Art MusikCircus

"Shooting through a Star" was the last one in a gig no-one had any intention of making happen but you've got to go with the Zen.  I have no idea what that means but it seems like a cool way to go.

The title is a direct link to play the song and it's on the Ride the Dragon podcast.

I like it when songs build and stuff piles onto it with drums, bass, deep synth and who knows what else along with as many layers of guitars as seem like they want to stack on top of each other.

This one isn't like that as it's all on the guitar looper which doesn't have any percussion access.  It's unusual to me in hearing it back as you always groan at some stuff but the payoff is the stuff you hear and think, nope, that wasn't too bad.

It starts out relatively easy with a simple riff and then starts building it but only with guitar, two guitars if you count clean plus distortion as different instruments.  Whether it's shooting through a star by the end of it is your call.  I don't know where titles for my songs originate as they just seem to happen and I would love to name one "Walking with my Dog in Mongolia" but the music has, thus far, been elusive.

The tune stays more or less straight up for a while, about four minutes.  Then things get a little strange.


I'm quite partial to strange and, fortunately, so is Cat.  I review recordings anyway but I don't do it every time and Cat thought it would be worthwhile to listen to this one.  The stuff previous I've done quite a bit but this was different.  For the first three or four minutes you'll be wondering where is he going with this and so am I as I'm looking.  When it escalates it pulls me into it and then the lead can get extensively strange.  I've listened to it multiple times now and it pulls me along with it.  I hope it does for you.

No comments: