Saturday, February 14, 2015

Well, That Was Disappointing - Laptop Fail

Perhaps you think The Burning of the Hat of Eternal Accursedness failed, that some of the evil spirits remain, but that's not the situation.  This problem was self-inflicted.

Apple opened the laptop and closed it right back up again.  They said there was all kinds of nicotine and dust in there and they wouldn't touch it.  All it would have taken was to unscrew the optical drive and chuck it but they have their position and I understand it.

Nicotine is the worst thing on the planet.  Fair enough.

There isn't a suicidal collapse as I was screwed before and I'm still screwed so there's zero net change but at least it was nothing happening while I was roaming around in a t-shirt and shorts.  That part wasn't too painful.

One lesson came from it:  Never ever go to an Apple Store on a Saturday.  That place was packed.

I will get this one re-connected to networks, etc but right now I don't want to screw around with it.


Yevette said she has the tiny screwdrivers needed to open the case and that's the remaining possibility ... except I can't find them.  It's not a terribly hard task except to see it.  The stuff inside a laptop is ridiculously tiny, even with a good set of peepers for close-up.

Sometimes I have heard mothers saying to unruly kids, 'take a chill pill.'  That one always struck me as I'd think, mom, are you really thinking through what you're telling this kid.  Don't let the Men in White get your kid.  I'm crazy but those guys are dangerous.  I get into all kinds of trouble but I'd much rather be crazy than sedated.  So, scratch that on the chill pill, won't be needing one of those.

The main thing is to stay cool and don't do something that will just make the situation worse.  That means go slow.

No comments: