Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Braille Method of Computer Repair

The computer finally infuriated me enough in dragging out everything it does that I decided to take it apart.  There is one tiny problem with that insofar as I can't really see the bits so well, even with glasses.  Unless you are twenty, you will have the same troubles as the stuff in there is microscopic.

It was another win for Torx as, sure as hell, you need one to get the optical drive out.  I reviewed this on multiple YouTube videos before starting but they are not Apple service manuals and details may change.

They did.

Onward to Plan B

Leave the optical drive in there but disconnect the sumbitch.  There are two cable sets coming off the optical drive and both were disconnected in the videos so I did the same here.

Amazingly enough the process was completed without injury to me or my surroundings and the computer started back up again, all in about thirty minutes ... much to the surprise of anyone familiar with my mechanical skills.

As to the inside of it being coated with a poisonous, glowing, seething layer of molten nicotine goo ... um, complete crap.  Filters were not plugged with a thick, radioactive poison.  It really wasn't that bad in there and I've seen many far worse than that (shrug).

As to the fix changing much of anything ... well ... it really wasn't impressing me that I had gained anything and I was getting a message that there was no hardware for WiFi.

Not long after coming back up, there was a power surge.  I'm sure you know the kind when the power goes out but then comes back up in milliseconds, lights flicker, etc and they don't care much but it's a sucker punch for any computing, video or audio devices and may destroy them.

The computer would not reconnect to the Internet.  I know the steps and I got Yevette's machine online again but mine would not work.  I figured, ok, I will take the machine apart again and reconnect one of the cables to see if any benefit comes.  Maybe I will even get WiFi back.  (I don't use it here but I do need it working)

I did that and still I could not reconnect.  Yevette's machine was doing fine so the problem was definitely on my end ... or so it seemed.

When your computer is completely screwed, there's only one useful answer:  take a nap and maybe a miracle will happen.

While it wasn't exactly a miracle, I awoke with the mantra that looking more than fifteen minutes in one place to solve a problem means you're looking in the wrong place.

I was.

I followed the Internet cable back to the modem and found, during the course of going to the front to verify Yevette's machine was ok, I had kicked the Internet extender plug and pulled out the cable going to mine.  So, when my machine told me I wasn't connected to the Internet, it really wasn't.

With all that now complete, including a nap, the computer does have more zip.  Now your zip quantification is arduous and boring ... but there's definitely more of it and that's all that matters to me.

The hypothetical poisonous nicotine layer isn't an explanation as that won't slow electrons, I'm afraid.  I have never believed that was the problem although it was conceivable blocked filters were causing overheating.  Neither of these were true ... but I really did not expect them to be.


This re-opens the potential for selling this computer as I know for sure what's inside there and can deal withs someone straight-up.

Replacing the speaker cabinets is not mandatory as the distortion problems from Thursday were not present on Friday and I hammered the hell out of the system trying to duplicate them.  The problems did not come and neither did they come during the one performance last night.  Therefore, Thursday has moved into the Inexplicable Anomaly category and that's ok.  Barring another example, fuhgedaboudit.

A Thunderbolt disk drive is $400-$500 and that is near-mandatory insofar as the boost to video applications from hotrod disks (i.e. 10x faster) is enormous.  The disk drive I use now is the same one that hit the floor when I fell over in the Schiphol airport.  It's ongoing survival is moving more and more into the miracle category.

The computer didn't get enough boost to start submitting entries for one-hundred-meter sprint races but there is improvement and that ain't bad for five dollars in screwdrivers and not a whole lot of bother.

No comments: