Friday, February 13, 2015

Buying a Used Apple iMac Computer from PowerMax

The Mystery Lady came up with a tip on PowerMax, an authorized Apple reseller, and I found for $1900 a very impressive iMac that isn't quite as fast as I want ... but ... it's got 12 GB of RAM and that's a different kind of performance boost that Final Cut also loves.   I didn't add more memory to the model I spec'd for the solution as buying it from Apple is very expensive.  This could potentially be better than new in some ways.

The question screams:  why the hell would anyone sell this jewel of a computer.  Used is always dangerous but going forward with reasonable caution will work.  If the machine comes with an Apple warrantee then who cares if the previous owner used it for scuba diving, it can be fixed.

Used Apple iMac 27" at PowerMax

If someone buys it out from underneath me then there must still be some smoke remaining from the Hat of Eternal Accursedness but it shows there is strong potential for saving five or six hundred dollars and getting at or near the same thing.

Excellent suggestion, Mystery Lady!


Additionally cool is that it has a Firewire 800 port and also a Thunderbolt port.  Firewire is much slower than Thunderbolt ... but ... my drive is Firewire.  My plan had been to get an adaptor until I could get a Thunderbolt drive but this iMac doesn't even need that.

This really might be an answer and it will be studied more as the day goes along.

Supremely cool!


Update:

Now I see it.  The AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card is known to be bugged.

However!  Apple has a replacement plan for four years from the original sale.  The bugged card seems like a killer but that may not be so.

No comments: