Sunday, February 15, 2015

How to Eat Like Mediterranean for Cheap

The Mediterranean diet is recognized as being one of the healthiest in the world but it's surprisingly difficult to eat this way in America and you have to go out of your way to do it.  Here's why it's worth it:


Maybe that doesn't look pretty to you but there's no gunk in any of it, even the bread has no preservatives.  It's not any big purpose to me to avoid preservatives but you don't even have to consider such things with this kind of food.  If you want some more tingle, add some jalapeno peppers ... or whatever you like.  That's what I appreciate about this kind of stuff is you can throw just about anything on it unless you add strawberries or chocolate or some such and it will probably be good.

It's difficult but not impossible as everything on the plate came from Wal-Mart.  There's fresh-baked Italian bread on the bottom with a layer of chopped spinach on it.  Add tomatoes chopped up however you like and a pile of sliced green olives.  Cover that with a nice layer of feta cheese and then bathe it in your top shelf olive oil.  The top shelf is for eating and the bottom is for frying or at least that's how I do it.

The only part that was difficult was the feta cheese as there was only one kind and I searched for quite a while.  I have looked previously but it's hard to spot.  In Greece, there's a wall full of different kinds of cheese with many different options on feta cheese.  I'm not sure how much difference it makes but Greek feta cheese is probably made from ewe's milk rather than goat's milk as there are way more sheep than goats.  (There's a Mexican whole milk cheese that may be similar but I haven't found out for sure yet)

Cost:  so low it doesn't even matter, probably about a dollar, and that fills me right up.  I don't eat much so it doesn't take a lot to fill me up the but the main thing isn't so much the value as this so easy and it's really delicious.  You don't have to cook anything and you don't even have to be that good at chopping it.  This will fill you up as well as a Big Mac and your stomach will love you for it.

Note:  Greek bread is my way out front favorite but I haven't found it yet and I can't bake it myself.


Americans really are food victims because of circumstance, frequency of fast food joints, etc, etc that make it difficult unless you deliberately take the time to drive past all the crap food to find stuff like this.  That's more difficult than it seems so it's not entirely the fault of the fat people that they got that way.  In America it really is harder not to get that way.  The stuff in the pic will never make you fat and never leave you feeling like you missed something.

It's not that I have to force myself to eat this stuff, I have to force myself to eat anything else.

4 comments:

Laughing Gecko said...

Man, that looks good! Do you remember a few years back Wendy's offered a Greek Pita sandwich. It was full of feta and veggies and was so delicious. Not surprisingly, I was unable to single handedly keep it on the menu, so it was dropped. Good while it lasted.

Unknown said...

I didn't see the sandwich and I really wasn't avoiding junk food, there just wasn't any. There was only one burger joint in Pyrgos and it wasn't McDonald's. So it was kind of crap but not complete crap and that was the only one.

Feta is the magic ingredient to pull it all together for me. It's puzzling that it takes searching to find it when, as far as I can tell, lots of people like it.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful to me! Try the bakery breads at Walmart--usually they have them by deli department (and look for the markdown rack too--you can find very good buys). The Focaccia or Ciabatta would be great as a base with that. I think they even have the flatbreads in the scratch bakery section. I havent found Feta to difficult to find--again its usually on a counter in the deli area with the special cheeses-Brie, Gorgonzola all the Italian hard cheeses, etc. ML

Unknown said...

Ah, of course. I had been hunting around in the regular cheese area with American, Swiss, Cheddar and I did find one there but I must take a look at the deli part now to see what else they have.

I can't deal with much meat so this is perfect for me.