Saturday, February 14, 2015

Laptop into the Shop Today

Even after getting the laptop mostly working, there was no point in going into social networks, etc when I would just be bailing out again.  It's unknown how long it will be gone but I do know it won't be long; that's part of the reason Apples cost what they do.  The need for the optical drive fix is obvious but whether they discover anything else remains to be seen as Sonya sings about one kind of Wobbly, Wobbly but this machine has another kind.  I don't anticipate they will find something horribly wrong with it and it's even conceivable the drive fix will resolve a lot of things.

Things that won't stop are Second Life and reporting on shows.  It's best not to say why I stopped writing them and instead tell you my standard for writing a report is you have to blow me the hell away.  That's what makes it news, right.  Everything turns into a sexual metaphor anyway so let's go with that.  You've got make the earth move for me.

Think of me as an audience member who never heard you before.  You've got to blow me away or it's not likely I will come back and that's been true of music all the way back to beating on drums in the forest.  Note that 'blow me away' does not necessarily mean you need virtuoso skills to do it.  Even though your set may not change very much, really good musicians will bring liveness to it and make it feel unique every time.  In other words, you don't have to play as fast as Voodoo.  I doubt even minor deities can play as fast as Voodoo anyway.  That's not my measure of 'blow me away.'

Besides, that's blow me away been my standard for music since the concert-running days, that was always the goal:  blow me the hell away.  And, man, they sure did.  

Those sixties shows were news and it annoys all hell out of Millennials but it's going to continue to annoy them as the biggest news out of this year's Grammy Awards was in Kanye West's typical boorishness and Madonna's way over-exposed ass.  That ain't music.  That ain't nothin'.  (Even so, Madonna still has a much better backside than Kardashian and she's twenty years older)

Backside reporting is a hobby and not my purpose, amazingly enough.  I can tell you this much, tho.  Cat has been riding horses all her life and I don't mean ones you can rent in parks.  The lady can ride and she's taken good care of herself to do it.  If there's a contest with Madonna on who's got the best butt, my bet is on Cat.  The sad fact of this situation, however, is the one butt I have actually seen is (sob) the wrong one.


While it looks like writing reports again is a cheesy suck for support, the precise reason I started writing again is I clarified something crucial.  It's been a massive concern to me that I cause more problems than benefit in writing a review for a performer, even after a kick ass show, as that report will be intermingled with strongly-opinionated politics and who knows what other bat crap pops into my head.  Straight or high, I think we're clear I'm a lunatic.  Still, I had to be clear this was not causing problems so I asked straight up.  Everything is good so I write again.  I do not now nor have I ever wanted to be paid for a review as then why should anyone believe I write anything but hype.

In fact, I'm not sure I can, in good ethical conscience, accept anything toward the campaign from anyone I have reviewed.  Since I do not have a good answer on this, the best one I see is don't do it.  That way there can be no question.  The truth of the reviews is as important to me as the truth of music or what point in writing them.

Now, back to the discussion of backsides (dissolve to the Grammy's).

No comments: