Sunday, February 15, 2015

Possible iMac Fireworks Tomorrow and That is Always Good

There is a distinct chance it will be possible to execute on a computer tomorrow.  Some of the People of the Future may be able to figure out how this happens but, please, absolutely don't mention any names, even the fake ones I use here.  I will leave the Help Silas campaign open as the Samaritan doesn't look at this as a credit operation but I do and anything I can do to give some or all of that back has to happen.  The Samaritan would rather I say nothing but it's vital this is all straight-up to everyone how this goes and no-one is surprised by anything.

The reason for making a move quickly is the machine I've located is an exceptional value.  It's the latest model and has about $1000 in extra configuration options so it's purchase price (new) would have been over $3000.  It sells for a little over $2000 and the extra options are precisely what I would have done were I buying the machine originally.

I don't see a more cost-effective solution to getting substantially greater capability for processing video.  It's not a Big Daddy Hollywood Mac but you'll blow $10K on on a Big Dawg machine without even slowing down on the way to the rest of the stuff you need for it.  All of that stuff is killer to have but you will pay the big bucks for it.  (It's worth it as that's what I used when times were different)

The specifics for this machine are it has 16 GB of RAM ($600 add-on), the latest I7 processor ($200 add-on), a 4 GB Nvidia video card ($200 add-on).  The only reason I can imagine anyone selling this machine is to go to the 5K iMac and that seems ridiculously frivolous financially but it's conceivable that's what happened.  Yes, I will ask.

There is a klaxon horn blaring TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE as I found the machine some while ago, thanks to the Mystery Lady, and I've studied and studied it.  All the while, the Fundamental Car Principle screams, "Do not fall in love with a car.  It will not love you back."

I have to be willing to let someone buy it out from underneath me rather than moving faster than I want and the Samaritan would be pleased if the deal closed quickly but the TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE alert can't be ignored and I will call to talk to a human tomorrow.  So, there is a warranty on the machine.  Please tell me more and do be specific.

If you're considering a similar move, note the absence of any major upgrade to the iMac in quite some time.  The upgrade for the 5K iMac last September gave a much better display but there is no other change relative to the other iMacs in the existing line.  It's likely Apple will continue propagating 5K through the iMac line so what that tells me is maybe a year before they finish that.  I don't see a seriously jacked iMac coming out before then so the selling price on the one in question is not likely to change much.  It probably wouldn't change much anyway as it's already taken the First Buyer Burn and that was a big bite.

No comments: