Sunday, February 22, 2015

Silas Scarborough CD Almost Ready to Burn - Evolving

Burning a CD runs counter to everything I've written recently regarding optical drives and the future of plastic in music ... but this isn't about the grand philosophy of musical evolution.  Sister Julie asked for one.


"Frogs in a Blender" 
(working title)

Ice Cream Blues
electric version recorded at the Circus and almost certainly played for Sister Julie

Symphony for Cat
live at the Circus

It's for You
the most-recent remastered version

The Silas TechnoHypnoGroove Christmas Song
live at Sunshine Daydream

Too Much or Not Enough
live at the Circus

There Will Come a Time
studio recording from Rhode Island in 2006 - 2008

Waiting on a Peace Train
recorded in the Galactic Peace Tour truck in about 2011 or 2012

Drifting
studio recording from about 2006

I Love Rats
live at the Circus

Finding My Way
studio recording from Cincinnati in late 90's

On a Grecian Morning
recorded at Katakolon in 2013

On the Road with a Mouse and a Chicken
recorded in Rhode Island in 2008

Celebration of Circe Broom
live for the memorial for Circe

(the above is not the sequence on the CD, only the sequence in which I found them)


The run-time is 79:00 so the pattern is full, Ghost Rider.  There's no recording involved in this but rather it's a matter of finding good, high-quality mixes for the songs I think would be appropriate.  The only one for which there is any question for me is the "Celebration for Circe Broom" as that was the only time I played the song.

Verified:  maximum audio recording time for CD is eighty minutes.

Most of the songs in the current list are somewhat aggressive but not the most aggressive ones.  My first thought is I need some more softer ones for balance but "I Love Rats" is a theme song and it's not there.  (Cat and I talked about "Flowers for Algernon" some days ago and that made "I Love Rats" immediately clear.  It's a joke but really it's not as Charlie loved Algernon the Rat.)

Update:  it's on there now.


Evolving ... not anymore as the CD is full.  I'm not locked to this list and I'm open to suggestions for replacements.  This looks obviously to me like the Silas Scarborough Greatest Hits disc but that's ok.


No Magic Required

Although the optical drive in the laptop is permanently deceased, Yevette has an external CD burner that runs over USB.  There are blank discs about somewhere and I plan to burn at least one before the arrival of the new used computer.

Releasing it formally is a possibility but doing it is about forty bucks and no chance am I doing that before there's a decent disk drive here.  My problem is that goes back to selling MP3 music as the format did such wonders for Apple, not so much for music but it was great for Apple and cellphones.

No comments: