Friday, March 8, 2013

Come for the Souvlaki, Stay for the Merenda

When I first wrote this I was thinking you probably already what souvlaki looks like but maybe you don't!

Picture is from Wiki
This is souvlaki with pork but it works the same with chicken or beef and there are many ways to do it. Harry was cooking this last night and it was marvelous!  A big part of it is the liberal use of olive oil with lemon juice as that with the juices from the meat is highly excellent for dunking some pita bread.



When I first got to Greece, I asked my friend about peanut butter and she got some of this.  There is a big difference as American peanut butter is based on peanuts (i.e. goobers) while Merenda is based on hazelnuts.  Peanut butter pretends it isn't candy while really it is but Merenda doesn't pretend at all.  This is chocolate candy one can spread on a sandwich!


I haven't tried both but I'm told there is very little difference between Merenda and Nutella.  Therefore I see very little reason to try Nutella!  At first I didn't like Merenda as I was looking for something for a daily sandwich spread and this stuff is much more a candy than a lunch staple but it is quite good candy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like some serious good eats by Harry

Unknown said...

No kidding! Really scrumptious stuff!