Sunday, March 17, 2013

Love Affair with a Coffee Table

Getting in touch with Cat has been a bit difficult with the Internet shot all to hell so the answer on Friday was to find a cafe with a WiFi hotspot.  Since they were playing some godawful remixes of pop songs inside, the answer to that was to go the chairs and tables outside.  That wasn't quite as clever as I had hoped as the aforementioned godawful pop remixes followed me via outdoor speakers so the new situation was that I still could not hear Cat and it was also damn cold!

Rather than admit my tactical error, I decided to stay out there and setup the iPad on a coffee table.  This gave us relative privacy and I couldn't hear her but she could hear me so we started into one of those conversations that are only possible through the magic of modern technology.  I spoke into the microphone and beamed a video feed to her while she typed in response.

So far it was a little strange but we knew what was happening so we were fine with it and having a lot of fun.  What wasn't so fine was the view for the Greeks strolling along the waterfront as, despite the cold, Katakolo is quite a pleasant place to be.  All anyone could see was that I was talking quite fervently to a coffee table and I paid no attention whatsoever was people walked by.  I speculated with Cat that perhaps someone was going to come after me with a net and a straightjacket but, happily, that did not happen.  I did look up every so often and would catch the quizzical look of someone passing by and he would have an expression on his face as if to say, "Damn, dude, you are damaged!"

It was all good, tho, as Cat and I were having lots of fun with it and, so long as I didn't wind up in a looney bin, I was quite happy to share a few minutes with her.

So, apart from a few splinters, it all worked quite well!  (laughs)

No comments: