Sunday, March 24, 2013

Joaquin Gustav Goes All to Helle

Joaquin Gustav has been playing in Second Life for maybe as long as I have been in there and that goes back seven years.  I have been to see his show many times in those years but I have never once heard him play electric.  Well...

Here is Joaquin getting it done at Helle's Angels last night:


Joaquin was laying it down!  He plays electric with the same subtlety as he plays acoustic, with great tone and extraordinary feeling.  You can so much hear the man's heart in his strings.  He doesn't shred some memorised crap he read from tabs somewhere but rather he plays his guitar and brings the music to your heart and soul.  As always, it was a very touching performance and it was too sweet of him to play "Sunshine of My Life" for Cat and I except this time it was electric but it was just as beautiful, maybe even more so.

Maybe you're thinking how does this work when I'm so often slamming covers but there is a vast difference between playing the chords and singing some knock-off acoustic version of a song (i.e. the campfire version) and the approach of taking a song to interpret it in your own way.  The former approach has done more damage to the reputation of Second Life music than would a swarm of termites in a lumber yard and that reputation of mediocrity will be incredibly tough to overcome.  The fault is not in the performers as you play whatever you can and hope someone likes what you do; it's so-called music managers promoting nostalgic mediocrity that has done it.

So I was hugely surprised to hear Joaquin Gustav playing an electric guitar as I thought I knew his set and his style.  I love it when musicians surprise me and he sure as hell did last night!  Hopefully he will do this every so often at Cat's Art MusikCircus as well.  He likes to call his set Healing Friday but electric guitars can heal just as well as acoustic!  Electric tango?  Works for me!

Finalsaga Sodwind and Helle Mensing have been friends for years and it was very cool to see them as well.  Helle has been running Helle's Angels for quite a few of those years and she has always stayed true to the music.  It's all about the music!

Finalsaga is an excellent musician but he doesn't play in Second Life.  Perhaps someday he will!

For reasons there is no need to divulge, I was in a stinking mood before we got to Joaquin's show but this turned it right around.

And Cat and I danced!


Stealing a kiss in the middle of dance.  My ol' Daddy would be so proud!


Here was another treat from last night:


There is relatively little protection against idiots who do this and he is proudly displaying his little pixel penis but the idiot couldn't even get the color to match his chicken ass.  He was ejected without comment and that's about all the attention he deserves.

No comments: