Saturday, March 30, 2013

Joaquin Gets Electrified at the Circus

Last week I raved about how Joaquin Gustav played electric at Helle's Angels venue (Joaquin Goes All to Helle) and I hoped it would do it again soon.  Well, soon turned out to be last night at Cat's Art MusikCircus!


It was just as he played last time and he brings the same delicacy to playing an electric guitar as he does to playing acoustic.  Who else but Joaquin Gustav would be cool enough to do it in a tuxedo too!

Joaquin is a very much an Argentinian gentleman and you can hear it how he talks and very much in how he plays.  He is happy to take requests from people for his set and he knows a great many songs so it's not likely you will surprise him.

My Internet line wasn't fast enough to handle it but he gave the audience a video tour out his window in Buenos Aires and he also showed the equipment he is using in his studio.  His setup is quite similar to mine but he uses a Line6 amp simulator instead of a Boss GT-100 but the results from both are an extraordinary tune and Joaquin is very good at bringing that out.


After Joaquin's show came Voodoo Shilton and check out those tats!


It's become kind of a standing joke that I have no idea how to describe his music so how about I just describe his tats, huh!

No need to describe the tats as you can just look at the pic so we'll have one more go at it.  One example of his work is an original song he called "Afro-Blue" and it's definitely one to kick it up.  It has an African beat and something of a blues motif but don't even be thinking twelve- bar as that's not it at all.  One distinctive thing about it as a particularly unusual chord which he described as 'angry' but which I took as mystical.  Cooks love to analyse meals in restaurants to try to pick out all the ingredients and spices but I have no idea what that chord was ... it was, well, mystical!

Another one that he punches up in a big way is his "Village Jam," also original.  He is quite clear that he really doesn't want to play love songs all that much and he really loves to get things cranked.  This song will do it although what style you would call it is something I will leave to someone else.  What I can tell you for sure is that it's an exciting piece.

And to give a bit more idea why there's no way to describe his style, the last song he played was what he called Gypsy Jazz, "The Sheik of Arabee."  He has an excellent technique but there's still one thing missing in the description as I'm told he does a fine job on an electric guitar but I've not heard that yet.  I'm sure that will be as cool a surprise as it was hearing Joaquin doing it so I'm most interested to hear.


And Cat and I danced


How about those eyes, huh!  No, I didn't fall in love with an avatar as we talk more in real than in Second Life but if I were to fall in love with an avatar, Cat's would sure be the one.  I bet I shot at least ten pictures to get this one!

That's Yevette Nishi flying behind us and that's just one of the many dances Cat has found for the circus.  All of them are extraordinary and why not fly in a dance.  If you could, wouldn't you!

No comments: