Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sonya and Her Wobbly Wobbly

Sonya Jevette is living up to her personal challenge to write a new song every week until (?) I don't know when.  She performed Thursday night at Cat's Art MusikCircus and this is the first time there has been a chance to write about it.  Her shows aren't radically different from one another but she has the gift of being able to make them all sound different.


You KNOW the lady is feeling it and very much you will hear that in the beautiful vibrato she uses.  She has a lovely voice in any case but there's just a touch of vibrato she brings that lifts her songs into a whole new place.  We missed her last week as she had a real-life gig but she was back on Thursday for a wonderful show.

I don't have my notes here at the bar so this will be kind of a pitiful report but I can tell you for sure that she did a marvelous job as she always does.  Since I can't play it back for you note-for-note, I'll take you straight to the Wobbly Wobbly which is more formally-known as the "Big Girls" song.  The time zone change is still screwing people up for getting to shows on-time so there wasn't much response when Sonya called for people to come to dance with her for the "Big Girls" song.  That meant only one thing:  Cat and I headed for the stage.


That's Bud the Good, I mean, Bud the Rude on the left then me, Sonya, and Cat.  Apparently dancing on the stage wasn't quite enough attention for Bud the Rude so he started flying around, doing barrel rolls, etc, and playing music quite loudly.  Technically speaking, Bud the Rude was being a complete dickhead.  Cat ejected him from the show but he hadn't done enough yet to show he didn't have the brain God gave a goldfish and he sent a message back to her, "Fuck you, bitch."

Cat doesn't know it but I sent a message after that to Bud the Rude and said simply, "Real class, limp one."

He replied, "Indeed," so apparently his bravery is limited to badmouthing women.  I saw no reason to say anything further as it's impossible to insult someone whose knuckles drag the ground when he walks.

Apart from that idiotic interlude, the show was marvelous and Sonya, as always, showed a marvelous sense of humor.  I don't know if she gets tired of doing the "Big Girls" song as it's almost demanded each week but you could never tell any boredom in the way she sings it.  She really has the pro knack of being able to make a song sound fresh every time.

And of course Cat and I danced!


Dance, dance, dance!

No comments: