Saturday, October 22, 2016

Pediatricians Don't Want Your Kids Getting Digital at Early Ages

This topic runs a severe risk of getting pedantic and preachy since we don't want kids getting digital until much later than is currently in vogue.  Pediatricians give all the more credence to that thinking and unknown if this has been at all formalized previously but they're doing it now.  (Science Daily:  Pediatricians update digital media recommendations for kids)

There is heavy bias on this matter in the Rockhouse since I don't regard socialization via computer as any more than a means for passing time for those who have too much of it on their hands and the more I pull away from that the more fulfilled and focused I feel in the things I do.

(Ed: without some type of socialization, no-one would ever see Ithaka!)

Fair enough since the Zen of Blogness is many people may be reading Ithaka at one time and it's not at all uncommon that they do.  However, I don't believe it's required that we're all buddies except when we fancy that but overall it seems like rock stars having romances with groupies which Gene Simmons seems to like but we find highly creepy.

(Ed:  you think you're a blog rock star?)

Come off it, Maverick, as the last one charged with being deliberately obtuse was the warden for Shawshank Prison and it didn't go so well for him, did it.


The above measure of Silas sophistry goes well beyond the recommendations of the pediatricians who research the matter in terms of developmental health.

"Digital media has become an inevitable part of childhood for many infants, toddlers and preschoolers, but research is limited on how this affects their development," says one of the lead authors of the statement Jenny Radesky, M.D., a developmental behavioral expert and pediatrician at University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

- Science Daily

I know that matter is directly significant to some number within Die Kaninchen since you want the best possible education for the little whippers.  It's not at all my purpose to challenge that but rather to suggest research develops which seems it's worth considering.

Again, this is not a lecture, it's curiosity.


Here some more from them and here you may feel a bit pressured.

Parents may want to limit their own screen time, too, the authors say.  Heavy parent use of mobile devices is associated with fewer verbal and nonverbal interaction between parents and children and may be associated with more parent-child conflict.

- Science Daily

Since some may be annoyed already, here's one more since it's directly related to the same theme.  There's evidence increased screen time with young people has a direct relationship with whether they complete their homework.  That aspect relates to a later stage of development than the pediatricians consider but it's germane overall.


Screen time and young people doesn't look like it's so good for getting it done with the homework.  (Science Daily:  More time on digital devices means kids less likely to finish homework)

I really don't want to pursue this so much due to the vision of enraged parents with flaming torches and pitchforks, all screaming, "How dare you tell me how to raise my child!  We will burn you!"


In fact, I'm not telling you how to raise your kids but the researchers have some suggestions and the view at the Rockhouse is the informed parent is the hip parent and a hip parent is deemed most likely to make intelligent decisions, notwithstanding the emotional pounding they take from kids when they get cut off from the 'net.

In the first article there are suggestions within on what specifically they recommend doing in terms of healthy development.  Read those for whatever measure of hipness you think is necessary.  The latter article is more toward whether online teaches kids to be lazy and that's inevitably riddled with subjectivity.

They're your kids, make up your own mind but hopefully with all the hipness you can muster.

Note:  that segues back to "Captain Fantastic" who apparently never lets his kids anywhere near a computer but I have not watched it as yet.

One more time, I'm not trying to lecture as I'm only curious.

(Ducks and covers)

Note:  some will know what that means.  Hint:  you have to be old.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most homework is assigned and completed on digital devices
Personally I think this is a terrible idea. It severely limits the need for parental involvement in the process.
Little Princess now attends a public bi-lingual school. Horrendous
Some classes teachers teach in two langauges. Twice the teaching half the learning (Tim Allen)
And the only homework is done online. Great for a child with a parent who cant speak english. Homework can be done in either langauge
She has now become a tall pygmy. Chances that she recieves academic scholarships from a school like this very small. As you can only progress as,fast as the resources are made available to you.
Am I bitter. HELL YES

Unknown said...

I do see the flaws in that curriculum and there are multiple warnings in those articles about exactly those types of things. I would be bitter, flaming, or whatever in the same way as I know how seriously you have taken education and squandering it on affection makes no sense for some twisted sense of political correctness in using two languages for everything. Agreed on all points.

I'm sorry as writing this extended beyond any implications I had considered. You know I don't mean to rub any salt but it still sucks.

Anonymous said...

No worries. Dual langauge school just slow the process of assimilation. I do not want to Americanize anyone as I surely love visiting a quality Taqueria.
Here is the inevitable But
As I am trying to learn Spanish, langauge barriers prevent the cultural transfers that are so cool

Unknown said...

Trying to process people into a generic product is abhorrent and multicultural is grand, just like you say. It's part of what gives life color and it's cool that you learn Spanish as I've so much believed in trying to speak to people in the language they're most comfortable. Brings us all together and kumbaya but not a problem with it like that.

Anonymous said...

I just want to know what they say about me in elevators

Laughing Gecko said...

I'll tell you what they're saying about you in the elevators..... off line of course.

Anonymous said...

You would just be guessing based on past knowledge

Unknown said...

If you notice 'cabron' in the discussion, you won't like the rest of it (larfs). I learned my early Spanish from hookers in Juarez during the Army days and we heard 'cabron' a lot.

Anonymous said...

As long as they keep their Taqueria open. I dont care what they call me

Anonymous said...

Everyone thinks you have to go to Mexico or Texas for great Mexican foid.
Nope Nolensville Road in Nashville but only the brave should go as if you think they talk about me in the elevator you should see what happens when I go to Lil Mexico.
PS Sammy Hagar only thinks he makes Tequila. TRY Herraduara dual filtered Reposado. BlueAgave finestkind

Unknown said...

Even better is when you learn Spanish and can laugh right back at them and then they will laugh too.

I learned long ago tequila is too much for me no matter where I get it (larfs).

Anonymous said...

All things in moderation

Unknown said...

I figure I already had my allotment in alcohol and most of it I left in parking lots. Hah de hah