Monday, March 25, 2013

Absolutely Don't Drink the Water - Just Don't Do It!

Last month when things became so desperate and doubtless will again that I ran out of everything including water.  I thought I had a good answer in melting ice cubes from the freezer but they had been there since the last tenant and, apparently, they were frozen from water from the tap rather than bottled.

After drinking the water from the ice cubes, I developed some kind of infection in my mouth with multiple open sores.  I didn't say anything as there was nothing anyone can do about it and couldn't see a doctor anyway.  What I did was drank enough orange juice to re-float the Bismarck.  Harry knew I was broke and kept bringing oranges which was very, very helpful.

It was quite spooky as it lasted for four or five days and I was thinking, fark, is this some damn mouth cancer from all the smoking of tobacco, reefer, and who knows what else in my checkered past.

It's not conclusive that the water caused this problem but I'll damn sure never drink it again.  Maybe it was just some damn bad luck and had nothing to do with the water but no way I will take that gamble again!

Greeks have told me the water is fine for cooking so apparently heating is enough to remove anything harmful.  It's still not clear what exactly is in it beyond lots of minerals but you saw above that doesn't matter to me anymore as there's no chance I will drink it.

No comments: