Thursday, May 25, 2017

Death Songs Prevail But We Don't Want Them When Scream Rock is Riddled with Them

"A Song for Yevette and her Life" is obviously about death but also about pulling life from it and it will be on that line when death has been smack in my face.


"Ice Cream Blues" is the one from years back which Ms Cossette asked me to play at her funeral because time melts like an ice cream.  The song really isn't about death except in terms of recognizing it exists and enjoy that damn ice cream before it melts in your hand.  The song uses a bluesy loop I recorded ages ago but came to hate.  Nevertheless, that's been the one people liked.  I can do most of it again (minus keys) to fix parts I consider imperfections ... but then it's not the same song.  Cleaning it up may Bowdlerize  it in the way English has become an alphabet of A-words, B-words, and C-words.


Time melts like an ice cream
when you hold it in your hand
Enjoy it now or lose it
when it melts into the sand

- Silas

For me, that's a Non-Death song.


"New Age" was never about death but, as reviewed earlier, the New Age probably won't get here before 2025 after the political rubbish comes to some kind of reason and people actually get civilized about it.  (Ithaka:  Ithaka Shows the Falsity of Any Value in Overproduction)

Note:  that article is mostly about a better source of information and it's not likely anything you expect.


"New Age" took a run today and that felt pretty good.  It's the first time the Primary Looper has been in the game for many, many months plus that brought the drum machine into it too.  I was going to go for the bass but held off.  The were two purposes to this since it validated running the Galaxy Guitar into the looper on the Left side of the primary stereo input works well.  I still need to check out the bass but it's on the Right side so it should be cool also.  The further extension is running the vocal mike into the XLR input should do just fine and that will handle all existing kit.

Note:  pushing the vocal into a looper is usually just for tricks but it may have value.

The short on that is I never recorded "New Age" with a bass line in it and I want to know how that goes.


Another which has lived for years is "Too Much or Not Enough" since whatever comes is never judged just right.  This tune and the others have intricacies in the foundation I don't often make anymore after getting heavily-engaged with loopers


Anything beyond that gets too fanciful to be worth the words but two have happened in the last two days.  I didn't record anything today since I know it's not all I want the final to be.  All of that reveals the gaping hole from the absent synth.  It wasn't needed for Yevette's song but it is for all the others.


I just noticed an ancient synth for $150 on Craig's List and maybe there's some devious way to make that happen.  It's not torture to consider that because it probably isn't possible but maybe.


"Wind on the Waves" hovers about but I played that on my 12-string which I gave to my nephew since it never would have survived the things I knew where coming.  Hopefully he is enjoying it some where since it came originally from his Gramps.

It's a pretty song but intricate in a way a 6-string guitar can't do.  There's no intention to find another one since my thumb can't take the added pressure needed for twelve strings.  It may be possible to play record it in two passes to double it with the Galaxy Guitar but that's getting into deliberate fakery.


Some of those could use existing recordings as a foundation but the vocal must be live along with at least one instrument.  My rules ... it's a stoner thing.  Ask Mescalito about it.


Where there's music, there's always life.  A death song really doesn't make any musical sense but some of the best music is specifically in that context.  That means the best of Classical Masters so this is not about some contest.


I always thought when Pink Floyd sang you're only coming through in waves that meant trippin' but now I find trippin' isn't even necessary and everything is coming through in waves.  So long as those waves become music, everything is working.

No comments: