Tuesday, May 30, 2017

"I'm a Better Friend" - Vestal Vermin

I'm a better friend
than I've ever been a lover
but then it seems to come
choose one or the other
but for me that choice is made
I'll be your friend any time
but if you're looking for a lover
the only value is the rhyme
since more than any single thing
we want flying above it all
is the knowledge one will be there
if you should start to fall
a lover may confuse the vision
but a friend only sees one thing
and that takes it to the caged bird
and how we would love for her to sing
since everything else will stop
anything which is wrong
whenever there's a song we hear
and it goes straight to our hearts
because we know there's truth in music
it can't live any other way
and that's the only thing I've had
I ever meant to say
I'm a better friend
than I've ever been a lover
but when you're in trouble
you won't need another

- Vestal Vermin

Ed:  not an improvement since false humility is still simply false

Fair enough.  I need a better one.

No comments: