Saturday, August 1, 2015

"Hotel Hilton Serengeti 2100" - Silas Scarborough (audio) - Response to Cecil and Jericho

Already I have written about Cecil the Lion and his brother, Jericho.  There was a song I had in the background but I didn't have anything in particular to do with it so I thought I would try a spoken response as another track.  The song is high techno with no guitar and it feels kind of daring as this isn't what I do but the result makes the sound or at least the protest I want.  (Ride the Dragon podcast: "Hotel Hilton Serengeti 2100")

Hopefully you will not be deterred by the sardonic references to Walter Palmer but the song overall has a bigger message than cynicism.  We can make it stop.  I won't be around to answer to the kids but you will.


The song is not a lament for Cecil and Jericho but rather a picture of what I see in the Hotel in 2100 after the Walter Palmers have wiped out all the animals and people only come to the Serengeti for the parties.  Using electronica for a song of this nature may seem misplaced but that is the music I foresee for such a time.  That may seem disrespectful but it was not my intention.

This was not a trivial exercise to me and I hope the song has meaning to you.


Of course this is dedicated to Cat.  We can make this stop.

No comments: