Wednesday, October 1, 2014

"The Paradise Song" - Thinking About It

There are two very strong drives, one to make something exceptionally damn good and the other to destroy myself.  They have always been at war in my head but now it's a full theatre tank battle and things explode all over the place.  This is not self-pity but rather mystification as the answer to why is still I don't know.

Drill Sergeant:  Private, you better seriously work on getting yourself unfucked.

Well, that's the trick, isn't it.  The answer to "The Paradise Song" may well be contingent on an answer to the other as this is life-long combat.

Probably it's more likely because I didn't go for the PhD and become the Great White Scientist like my ol' Dad.  He was a bona fide Big Deal around the world with global lectures tours and TV ...  and look at you ... what a worthless piece of shit.

All I wanted to do was play a guitar and get stoned.  So, yah, I'm a worthless piece of shit.


"The Tiger and the Monkey" is from six or eight months back and it's obviously for Cat.  It's part of thinking about "The Paradise Song" as to what the hell are you trying to do.  The vocal is the pitiful lot you would expect but the Lyrics are pretty.

The Mystery Lady was suggesting "Waiting for a Train" from Cincinnati and that is on YouTube but that one really is cast for its Fate in life.  I couldn't see lifting that up and saying, well, now it's "The Paradise Song" or, well, I could but I wouldn't be satisfied.

Both of them have a similar sound and it's not even close to rock nor is either with full orchestration.  That gets a little hmmm going.  Except for the pitiful vocal, I think those ones are fairly ok.  That still doesn't make it ok to lift either one up to re-use it but the vibe of the tune is ... well? ... what?

Paradise is lots of Heavenly strings.  Yah, if you want a toothache from all the sugar.  Or it's blowout power chords with full distortion and lasers as I have absolutely loved doing that.  Here is maximum audio sensation, maximum video sensation, and a whole lot of physical sensation ... total overwhelm and it Does.Not.Stop.  Paradise is that and it doesn't stop?

Well, is it, private?

Drill Sergeant:  Private, you better seriously work on getting yourself unfucked.

(Yes, they really do say things like that and all my life I have marveled at how they managed to teach those beasts at least that small measure of English.)

No comments: