Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Analog is Like So Last Millennium, Man

Alternate title:  Captain Moonflower's Revolt of the Tomatoes

That doesn't have anything to do with anything.  I just liked the title.  I'm crazy so I can do weird shit like that and people just go, well, you know, he's crazy.


Audio Sync with Final Cut Pro

The audio sync on "All But My Life" has been driving me somewhat bugged and my suspicion seems to be correct that it was caused by a problem in frame rates.  The number of frames of video information shown per second is the frame rate.  The name is probably a holdover from using film when you could hold frames of a film in your hand and easily see each one.

Audio information doesn't have a frame rate as it's unnecessary to reproduce the sound.  However, to use that sound in a video it needs to be converted to the frame rate of the video and this is where you may hit trouble as video standard has been 29.97 frames per second.  I'm sure someone can tell you why that particular number but I have no idea.  It's quite possible your audio file will be converted to 30 frames per second and that's what blows the sync.  Particular attention to any frame rate conversion is mandatory to ensure the audio video sync if you use audio from any non-video source to augment your video.

I will probably go back into "All But My Life" as the video is personally important or more so than some others and it will be the perfect test to verify I truly understand the solution as that audio sync is blown completely after about five or six minutes of play.  I didn't realize it before I uploaded it as all my audio sync testing is at the start of the audio stream, not the end of it.



Ableton Live

If someone tells you this is 'a sequencer on steroids,' murder the speaker and find someone who knows the subject.

You can get Ableton Live Intro for $99 US and this is the software component of the product.  It has tremendous capability for manipulating audio loops, samples, and just about anything you can throw at it.  All very nice, very nice.

What kicks butt is when you roll Ableton Push into it as this is the hardware component of the product.  Now the price jumps to $599 US but I have heard it quoted at €489 in Europe.  When you factor in the higher trading rate for the Euro, that accounts for some of the price differential but not all of it.

No need for a full review as these are popular products and you can certainly find reviews all around. The attitude of the people using the systems is interesting as a good many believe analog instruments are Old School and that expression alone deserves a Sasquatch as it is such a limiting ideology that it's disturbing.

All I want out of Ableton Push is the drum / percussion capabilities.  Maybe you say $599 US is too much for a drum box.  If you were referring to the Boss DR-880 as that's just about what it cost and it's a total stinking piece of horse puckey.  Processes don't work or are illogical and the result is the only drum patterns coming out of it are the stock ones which are so white that some states have written law to ban the device such that it is only used in Connecticut.

The capability to do interesting things to drum beats with Ableton Push is very high and its level of electronic integration is very good (i.e. it's easy to plug stuff into it via MIDI, etc).  The biggest problem with looping isn't usually making the loops but rather getting a beat behind them that doesn't turn people into serial killers.

At this stage of my game, even if I had the money I would think long about whether to buy the system.  It has obvious merit but it also has tremendous potential for electronic button pushing which I hate like eating raw clams.

However, were I considering the situation at the same point of the purchase of the Boss DR-880, there would be no consideration ... the Boss DR-880 costs about the same as Ableton Live and Ableton Push combined.  In that situation I would have bought Ableton immediately.

No comments: