Friday, October 17, 2014

OS X Yosemite Gets Rolling - Update No. 4 w/Final Cut & GarageBand

The install ran a couple of hours what with upgrading all the bits.  GarageBand is updated along with iTunes, iPhoto, Pages, Safari, etc.  Additionally time-consuming is activation of iCloud Drive, the biggest reason for upgrading at all.  This is when cloud becomes more than a cheesy Facebook name for a file server.

The potential for intelligent distributed computing is significant but the converse is that it is just peachy for communicating with stupid devices (i.e. tablets and phones).  Everything becomes a cartoon and it's touch and poke every damn thing to make things work.  That may amuse the kids but it doesn't amuse someone who really is trying to work.  In general I'm not pleased with the iPhornification (like that??) of the Mac as this is a work tool and not a device for sexting between high school kids.

This is before the serious trial in which I start launching apps to see which ones throw Yosemite tomatoes.  It was a gamble doing this before the viddie is completed as it is going to frost my goznitch into an Ice Age if Final Cut gets wollicky (I don't know what it means either but you do know how software gets when it gets like that).

GarageBand was updated also and that's a high-risk situation as the mix for "It's For You" is still live. I did do yet another one and have not yet started Final Cut to see how it goes.  If it blows, you will not need Internet to hear the wailing and screaming.

So far I don't see anything that's blowing my skirt over my head as it looks about the same and the only functional difference I've seen thus far is that 'stealth mode' doesn't appear in Preferences.  That was a setting to ignore pings from external machines so they can't tell if you're alive.  The ping is a probe for vulnerability ... don't answer.  However, I don't see the setting for it now.

Onward to see what explodes.


Update:

Sometimes this is called live-blogging.  Avoid people who use such terms.  They can be identified also through the use of interwebs and the really trendy ones will say interwebz.  They frequently give webinars.

Final Cut lives and the viddie lives.  I'm on the final approach.  I watched it just now and the Don't Screw With It alarm sounded.  I can resist that and I will watch one more time to see if the debbul wins.  I have one more 'high value' video I can add to it and the debbul is sayin' I'm a wuss if I don't do it. You know how that goes.

iTunes pissed me off as one of the upgrades is that it will present your most recent library additions so they're easy to find.  Yah, right.  My recent additions are very fresh and they ain't fookin' there.  This is after a cursory view in which I saw what was recent, that my latest wasn't in it, then scowled and exited.  More on that later, not a high priority.  I'm sure my stuff is there, it just got tabletish (i.e. stupid).

I don't have an immediate need to test GarageBand as I believe I'm satisfied with the mix (yes, I realize you have heard this before).  The bass pops out of there and he was getting lost in the drums.  That is musical suckness but now it is fixed.

I notice there is a tremendous amount of I/O taking place against my external drive.  That was true even before I started Final Cut and I imagine what happens is that Yosemite is spewing my gizzards onto iCloud Drive.  I will inspect that later as I'm familiar with my gizzards already.  There is a high potential for good magic in iCloud Drive but I need to finish the video.

Overall, Yosemite is still a shrug.  The advertising for it used lots of pastel and went on about the appearance leaving me with the feeling they were marketing to blogger moms.  In using it, I see why. It ain't blowin' me away.


Update 2:

The debbul wins on the video and I need to remix so that means GarageBand.  Replacing the audio track in Final Cut is easy.

It's always the drums.  In the very last segment where lights are flashing and everything is bangin' the walls down, the drum beat gets too complex.  It doesn't matter if it's impossible to play but it must be possible to believe.  Pfft.

So apparently I will be testing GarageBand.


Update 3:

OK, now I'm pissed.  GarageBand crashes repeatedly trying to load "It's for You" and I am smokin'.  Possibly the only way to start it is to delete Preferences, etc, etc to make it a virgin again.  Maybe it's possible then to open some other song and I can sneak up on "It's for You."  I'm pissed.


Update 4:

iTunes now displays the list of your most recently-added songs ... except it's not accurate ... and it doesn't even match the list it presents when you click the Recently Added option in the sidebar.  This couldn't be more Microsoft if Gates had blessed it with his glorious flatulence.

It seems Apple turns OS X into a cartoon and it may get easier to do stupid things but, somehow, this does me no favor.  I'm really frosted.  I've never seen such a half-ass release from them.

Oh yeah, and Safari.  It's now got mumps or some damn thing as the appearance gets blotchy and sometimes turns kind of pink.  I am on drugs and I don't come up with crap like that so you need a better answer for what happened to Apple.  Maybe it's California water deprivation.

No comments: