Monday, October 13, 2014

Finding Songs for a CD is Like Talking to Atheists About Faith

For any statement on faith to an atheist, the answer is invariably, "I don't believe it."

So Sasquatch already did a bit on that but it's the same phenomenon in reviewing any of my songs on iTunes.


Here's one ...

Remix it.

Well, here's another one ...

Remix it.

And repeat.


That scopes it as there is no way I'm going to put anything on a CD if I'm not satisfied with how it's mixed-down.

So.

Go back to the masters in GarageBand and get ye remixing.  That's fine ... but ... not every song has a master.  If it's a recording from a show then that's it and there's no way to remix any orchestration but the recording will almost certainly want EQ, a bit ... or a lot ... of compression, etc.


It's not possible to do a studio mix as I don't have studio monitors and this room doesn't have acoustics such that monitors of that quality would even have value.  I could turn off the EQ on the mixer but amp speakers aren't even close to flat so it doesn't help much.  Best guess is all I can do with it.


These things aren't challenges or dilemmas but rather factors.  I've already decided I'm going to do it and I've started the preparation to get on with it.


When this is officially Out Of Hand is if you hear about re-recording anything.  That will doom it as it will drag out production time way past this has any hope of maintaining interest as the weasels clawing my flesh definitely have my attention.

No comments: