Saturday, June 13, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 and the Endless Saga

The iMac is back at the Apple Store and we stopped keeping count of how many times it has been back.

They will replace the iMac power supply and estimate 3-5 days for completion.  Apple has generously said they would pay for it after a two-month nightmare in trying to determine the source of the problem.


New news:

Yosemite 10.10.3 is vindicated.  Yesterday they installed Mavericks on it ... and it crashed again but this time they saw it.  It's definitely not Yosemite 10.10.3 at the root of the problem.  It's an unbelievable coincidence when an unrelated component fails at the same time as a software change but sometimes it happens.  There was nothing wrong with the installation, it was just hellaciously bad timing.

The problem was clearly getting progressively worse as it took less and less to trigger it ... but no-one was really sure what the trigger was.  Apple brought some big guns to it and they were working it competently and professionally but the problem was mystifying.  My own experience with Apple is not a small thing (i.e. thirty years) and yet nothing was gelling into any kind of a pattern.


As to Europe:

This changes nothing.  I would like to finish "The End of the World in Fort Worth" and I need to stay synced with Yevette's timing.  She's adamant about bailing but her situation is more complex.

Note:  "The End of the World in Fort Worth" is not a destructive one as the primary theme of it remains if you're screwed then throw a party and live as hard as you can before it blows up altogether.  That theme gets progressively more important to me as it gets more difficult to play.

If the iMac is fixed then I wonder if it's possible to take it along but that goes back to whether there will be a base.  It's possible there's enough music hardware here to pay for one ticket.  There will be more discussion with Yevette as she won't have a computer over there otherwise.  If the iMac goes too then either it or the laptop will be available.

The biggest consideration is that I'm good for twenty or thirty meters carrying it and then I'm gassed. I can get through an airport with a push cart but there's no chance otherwise.  I don't want to go into any public detail but nothing got better over the last eight or nine months and some stuff got worse.

There are two further considerations from that.  The reefer stops and, in fact, it already had but I figured yesterday I'm stuck here so I changed the situation.  Nevertheless, reefer stops in Europe except as a luxury item.  I won't smuggle anything although I've got reefer past TSA previously.  (In part I didn't want to throw away an OZ of premium reefer and also in part I wanted to see if I could get away with it.  What do you know ... I did.  Larfs)

The same applies with cigarettes.  Part of the reason for going to Europe is it's vastly healthier.  That's not so much true as you go North but it's very much true the closer you get to the Mediterranean.  You won't have to force yourself to eat Mediterranean, it tastes better ... and ... you will inevitably lose weight.

So, three to five days and I should have Skype again.  Then we can get this party started.

No comments: