Sunday, June 14, 2015

Five Things to Love and Hate About Munich and Germany (various videos)

Mark Wolters isn't a professional journalist and I like that as it gives a whole lot more credence to what he says.




His first thing to hate about Munich is that it's expensive.  Cat has warned me about that multiple times but she doesn't live there.  If you think she is Miss Money Bags who supports music as an amusement, you couldn't possibly be more wrong.  What that means to me is it's possible to live in the area for reasonable money but living within the city limits would be impossible.

He tells us Bavarians are nice but that one I already knew or, more accurately, an exceptionally nice one in particular and it is the biggest reason for going there.  The reason that's on the list of things to hate is because you need to know German before you can appreciate how nice they are.  That's not entirely true as Cat speaks better English (much better) than I speak German so we usually speak in English.

Ich bin immer versuchen aber es ist ein langer Weg.  (I am always trying but it is a long way)

Wolters also tells us you'll hate being crowded by so many tourists but they're a drag anywhere.  Another is all the beer and it's not true to say all Germans are beer hounds as Cat doesn't drink much.  None of the travelers in this party have any interest in drinking either.  He also mentions you won't find inexpensive souvenirs but such things aren't worth much anyway.  The only real souvenirs are the ones you carry in your head as you can share those indefinitely with as many people who are willing to listen.


As to things to love about Munich, most of them are not reasons it interests me.  I love it that Bavarians put flowers on the cows when they bring them down from the summer pastures in the mountains.  It's not only I want to see such things as I want to feel them as this is what Germans do and what makes them who they are.  Museums are all very well and I do feel a personal need to go to Dachau because I need to own my personal responsibility for it and my responsibility to do whatever I can to ensure it never happens again.  Germans go through this as schoolkids but I wasn't there so that one I need to do in my own way.

What Germans do for fun is a whole lot more interesting than what tourists do for fun and that's true just about everywhere.





This one is a little strange but the presentation is cute.  Example:  there is nothing sexier than a German guy yelling at you and you don't understand him.

I don't know about you, Jean Claude, but this does not sound sexy to me.

She does mention German women being sexy ... but not until near the end of the video.  It's amusing, tho, as if you think you're all macho with your monster pick-up truck and all, you're not going to take this one home as she doesn't care about trucks but she does care about men ... a lot, particularly German men.  Sorry, cowboy, but it looks like you and your truck spent too much time on Brokeback Ridge or Mountain or whatever that place may be.

After listening to Wolters, this one doesn't reveal much more depth than a bird bath but it's funny.


It's hard to believe the blondie ever went to school but this girl is attending school in Germany as she speaks.  She talks about food quite a bit but the part most interesting to me is her appreciation of friendship and socializing in Germany where it's not some meaningless Facebook crap.  When someone says something, he or she means it.  She tells us if a German says I'll see you next week, it will happen.  If someone says that on Facebook, you're be 'lucky' if it's remembered the next day, much less next week.

2 comments:

Laughing Gecko said...

After watching Blondies video, I'm pleased for the first time to have studied German in high school.

Unknown said...

So if you're going to get mad about something then yell it in German because now we know that's really sexy!